Saturday, August 4, 2007

They're Back Part Two

Before the moment passes, I had to post an update on Quan's behavior, attachment, etc. Each day he has let me more and more into his little world. He still very much prefers Rob and spontaneously gives him hugs all the time. However, I am quickly becoming the "food lady". Whenever he wants a snack or drink or anything, he comes to ME, grabs my hand and pulls me to the kitchen and points to what he wants. Even if Rob is sitting right there too, he gets ME to get the food. He must sense how much I love to eat. Today instead of pulling me to the kitchen he has come over to me and tapped me, then waves his little pointer finger like "Come here!" for me to follow him. What a cutie!
He is quick to come tell me when Kimmie is doing wrong. I say he "tells" me but really he babbles some foreign language (literally) without many consonants at all and points a lot. That's pretty much how we figure out what he's telling us, by his pointing. We are already trying to get him to say words to express what he wants, but his speech is just so poor because of his open palate. He remembers signs really well and has used please and drink more than any other signs.
He is so active, but can also sit and play for 30 minutes or more at blocks, cars, etc. He loves to play with Colby and Clay and squeals with delight at their antics.
Tonight at dinner he wanted everyone sitting around the table and kept pointing at our chairs until we were all sitting down. When it's time for the blessing he closes his hands so sweetly and when we say "Amen" and look up, he always has the biggest grin on his face.
I'm not sure that either Kimmie or Quan were ever read to, because we have the hardest time getting them to let us read books to them. They fuss and fuss because they want to hold the book and turn the pages themselves. This morning Kimmie gave it up and let me read "Itsy Bitsy Spider" to her. We sang the song over and over and she was tickled to do the motions with my help. I tried to engage Quan but he was too into his trucks to care. Later I told Rob how different Kimmie and Quan are; that Kimmie imitates everything we do and Quan just doesn't show interest in imitating. Then, as I was doing laundry I heard Quan trying to sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider". The words were unintelligible but the tune was dead on. Even though we may not realize, he is listening and paying attention to every little thing!
He has sure come a long way, but we still have quite a road ahead of us with both Kimmie and Quan. Remember, Rob goes back to work Monday! Yikes!
Monday afternoon they both have dr. appts. at the adoption clinic. I hope to have more info and insight to each of their special needs after that, and also gain more wisdom!

16 comments:

Journey to Lilly! said...

You've already had an outing??? We are going out today for Sunday School. Can't wait to see how this goes. Glad to hear Mr Emperior is warming up to you!! I think he will be a mommas boy in the long run...."He who resist most....loves best!" My mom would tell me that when I was having hard days after my adoption at 7. Praying for you! What a fun time you will have when everyting falls into place!!
lv u,
kim

Joan said...

Welcome Home!

My Ella didn't get the reading thing either but now 3 months later she is pulling the books off the shelf for me to read!

Joan.

Jan said...

It will probably help with Quan bonding to you when Rob goes back to work. As hard as it was for me with Tess, I think when Steve was out-of-town so much during our first six months home, it really helped in our situation. The first few weeks of him being gone were REALLY hard, but it started getting better and better...she was a tough cookie! You would never know it now...she's sweet as pie! The same will be true for Quan, I think. He is going to LOVE you! And, Kim is right, sometimes we push away the very thing we need (and deep down, want). It WILL happen, it just takes lots of time, persistence, and patience like you've never had before (together with lots of tears, in my case).

Good luck at the clinic. It's always a long day, but well worth it.

Let me know if you need anything.

Love,
Jan

Jan said...

Oh yeah, I meant to make a comment on reading books. My experience is the same as Joan said...Tess was NOT interested in the least about having books read to her or even looking at the pictures. It was about 3-6 months before she became interested in them and she, too, started pulling books off the self to be read to her.

Jan

Sherri said...

I was the food lady when we got home! That's a start! It is progressing--be encouraged with every step in the right direction. Do you remember me saying "Every day is a little better than the day before."? It was a very gradual change.

But being the Food Lady is a good start!

How soon will they do surgery on Quan's palate? I wondered if it had been closed already since you talked about all he ate!

I'm praying for you!

Sherri

Dollar General said...

Those sound like BIG steps! How exciting! Praying about Monday! Love ya! Pg

Dollar General said...

Nell told me you went to church! I'm so proud of you!! I hope you had a GREAT Lord's day together as a one big family!

Anonymous said...

so glad to know ya'll are back home and things are going great. praise god for all he has done, and will continue to do. we will be praying for all of you guys tomorrow... can't wait to read another blog. the kids are all adorable. still gives me chill-bumps, reading the updates and seeing the pictures. kimmie and quan are so blessed!! god is good, all the time, and all the time, god is good!
love-
jamie whitt

DeEtte said...

I LOVE LOVE that picture of Kimmie and Quan on your couch. They just look so...at home.

Take toys and snacks to the adoption clinic. There's usually a good bit of waiting time. Not near the waiting time as cleft clinic though. We were just back there (adoption clinic) for our 1 year follow up this past week.

I'm praying for y'all!
love, DeEtte
PS - just today Hannah was parading around the house in her swimsuit and said 'pretend I'm Katie Lin"! ha!

Family4Liv said...

God is good all the time, all the time God is good!

Your journey and others alike to these precious little ones have refreshed my soul to how great God is. HE truly is the lamp beneath our feet.

Thank you so much Ferril family for allowing our family here in California to follow you to China and back! We have felt your pains and rejoiced with your every little triumphant step forward. I pray that the Lord will continue to bring you strength everyday.HE will bring you the balance that your family needs as you create these new Ferril family memories. What precious little faces to add to your family album, they are just too adorable for words.
What a remarkable story of pure Love you have written for your children and childrens children to come.

God Bless as you acclimate back to our blessed time here in good ole USA. Getting out is soo good for you and the kids! I loved creating routine again it helps soooo much.

Your friend,

Cathy

Greg & Cheri said...

So glad to hear you are safely home!! Your posts always make me cry - maybe it is because it brings back so many memories and prepares me for our upcoming journey at the same time. Thank you for being a Godly example to follow. When we don't know what to do, God is all we need. Genesis 15:1 "After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying, "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward."

Love,
Cheri

The Blaszczynski Family said...

I am so amazed at you all getting out Saturday, but what a way to start with just a short one and at the soccer field! Can't wait to hear all about the clinic visit this afternoon, hope all goes well! We're here if you need ANYTHING!
Love,
Amanda B

Southern Cheesehead said...

YEA!!! So glad to "hear" from you guys...I hope things have gone well today (Monday) - I've been praying. Please let us know how to pray after doc appts!! We are so glad that you guys are home!

Jana said...

Home sweet home .... .with all your children -- FINALLY! Welcome back and thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to follow your journey. I loved each and every post and can clearly see in the photos that these two precious gems are adjusting to life at home, unconditional love and a true family. I know firsthand that the first week home can be rough -- jet lag has a way of skewing everything, but trust me, it gets easier each day.

I hope your time at the adoption clinic goes well. It IS a loooong day, but well worth it to have an experienced professional evaluate, explain, encourage and celebrate with you.

love to you and your family!

jana

Vicki said...

Oh My Goodness,
Look at those precious babies. We are so sorry that we couldn't be at the airport to meet you all. Mattie really wanted to be there. Can't wait to get my hands on those two. I'm just going to set up my own little Mamma Vic's Daycare at the Studio. Hey, if this teaching thing doesn't work out after 24 years I might have a different profession. Praying for you all.
Vicki

Sherri said...

How did the doctor appointment go?

Sherri