Saturday, September 15, 2007

over the past week...


On Sept. 11 we remembered those who gave their lives...and we honored those who are fighting for freedom...and we celebrated our Uncle Pat being home from IRAQ!


On Sept. 13 we finally got pictures developed from disposable cameras that we had sent to Kimmie and Quan in their care packages last spring. It is confirmed that they DEFINITELY played together as they are with each other in the majority of the pictures! This is one of Quan, Kimmie, and Yao Yao (her foster sister) together! There are some of Quan, Kimmie and another little girl who we are going to try to find out if she's Quan's little foster sister. These pictures are a treasure and remind us of how HUGE God is in this process! These pictures will be an important link for Kimmie and Quan to their past. These pictures brought me to my knees in awe of an awesome God who brought these children to our family!


On Sept. 15th I began my day cleaning up a big poopy mess in Kimmie's bed and ended my day cleaning up hot pink fingernail polish off my bathroom floor, bedroom carpet, and hardwood floors in my kitchen where Kimmie walked to show off her masterpiece!
The Culprit!


On Sept. 16th Carlie lost a tooth in the middle of Pastor Bruce's sermon on pride. We're so proud! Also on Sept. 16th we were reunited with Kylie! The first time we had seen her since she left for college! Sweet reunion! Also on Sept. 16th Kimmie and Quan had their first taste of Joel's in Trussville, and we discovered that Quan loves turnip greens! A man after my own heart!

And throughout this past week, through different circumstances, the Lord has been making us stronger for these children. I have written and re-written this part of the post, trying to say just what is on my heart. I guess the "reader's digest" version is that the world we live in believes that everything must be fixed. Your bike tire is flat? Oh, we can fix that. You lost your job? Oh we can fix that, you'll get a new one. Your child has a special need? Oh, well that can be fixed, it's okay. What if it CANT be fixed? Maybe God's glory is in the "unfixing" for lack of a better word. I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes He gains glory from the "fixing" and sometimes He is most glorified when there is not a "fix". He has shown me that even if a child has a need that is obvious and "unfixable", that it is all about HIS glory. He has these children's best interests at heart. And He chose Rob and I to carry out on earth His parenting plan for Kimmie and Quan! Wow, we are so humbled and grateful!
Really, there has been nothing new we've found out about either of them this week, but God has just been speaking to us about special needs children in general. I found this poem which I think is so poignant...It is how I feel right now....

You See What?

Tell me ... what do you see when you look at this child?
A tragedy of misfortune? A life defiled?
Do you see the mountains which this wheelchair can't climb?
This 'chair as a prison, whose walls are "time"?
Do you see a handicap, a body that won't work?
Failure, lost potential, nature's joke gone berserk?
Do you visualize very clearly the bills stacked so high,
While hopes are all dashed, so there's no reason to try?
Give me your answer; work it out in your mind,
And I'll prove you could not possibly be any more blind!
"How can you say that?" you demand like I'm wild ...

Because you looked at your fears, and not at the child!
Let me tell you what I see, right from the start
When I look at this child through the eyes of my heart ...
I see a child who rides horses, goes swimming, and laughs,
Who loves the zoo, and watching giraffes!
I see a daughter who thinks she's the "Belle of the Ball",
A good student, a friend who likes going to the mall.
Or a son who likes frogs, and puppies, and jokes,
But hates all homework, and lectures from his folks.
I see, not a heartache, nor embarrassment, nor trouble,
But a CHILD, with a LIFE, who has FUN on the double ...
A person of stature, even while sitting down,
A hope for tomorrow, a SMILE, not a frown.
I see a CHILD, not a condition, one of God's works of art,
And you'll see it, too, when you look with your heart!


17 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

I love that I am not the only mommy stuck cleaning up nail polish everywhere, I don't feel so guilty for turning my back a moment now! :)I could just see Kimmie and Caitlyn together playing dressup and polishing one anothers nails!They both seem to think the heavy look is best ;)

God is just so good, Laine He showed me the same things about my Jacob a few years ago. It took me a little while to learn and I tried for quite sometime to mold little Jake into something he wasn't, I am so thankful for His wisdom and showing me something that I thought needed fixing, just needed His glory and it will one day shine.
Kimmie and Quan are SO precious, everytime I see them I see His handiwork, His little masterpieces.
Blessings
have a wonderful school week,
Connie

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful poem. Yes, that is exactly what God is telling us. You know we ALL have imperfections, it's just that some are more visable than others. But to me, Kimmie and Quan are no different than any of the other dozens of children in our church. They are cute, sweet and loving just like all the others. I love their hearts, not their physical appearances, which, by the way, until someone brings it up, I don't even notice. Yes, I say Kylie today and she was so excited to see ALL the kids as they were to see her. I know they have all missed each other. It is so fun to see K & Q playing with all the other kids after church, they have so much fun. It was great to see you all, Ethel

Jeff and Sonya Hodge said...

OH MY! We have ALL so been there! The polish!!!!

Thanks soooooo much for sharing the wonderful poem!

Sonya

The Young's said...

Laine,
Thanks so much for sharing that poem with us. Isn't wonderful to know that God is working and molding us as we are all in this process. It's a blessing for Kimmie and Quan, and Sadie, and all these other precious ones...but we are so blessed by the outcome!! Thanks for sharing about your week. So good to see pictures of your daily life. We felt the same way about Sadie's pictures from her foster family. She had a foster brother we're going to try to find out about too. This journey keeps going...and get's more normal...and more interesting as time goes by!

Better run. We've got the IAC clinic tomorrow. I hope we get to see you guys...but if we don't we'll do it another time!! Have a great week!
Love ya,
Buffi

Mike and Barb said...

As always, cute pictures.... do your 2 toddlers just hang out togehter all the time?? Very sweet!
Yep, I graduated from Nailpolish 101 as well... long time ago, though, and with my oldest BOY!! Haha!
And your thoughts about your children are true and heartfelt... I have very similar thoughts going through my head, but don't have 'em sorted out enough yet to put on the blog... I might just steal your post ... just kidding, of course!
Have a great week!
Barb

Journey to Lilly! said...

Laine, I love this post. Thanks for sharing your heart with us. My but motherhood is all kinds of emotions! From the Joy that makes you think you will burst to the frustation that tries your inner self!!! Although very trying...I wouldn't trade it for anything. Thank you for reminding me of just what an awesome miracle God has done in allowing us to be these precious babies parent!

The poem is very touching....& so very true!! Kimmie & Quan are right in the palm of our sweet Saviors hand ....I can't think of anybody that is better suited to be called to be Mommy to them than you!!!!! We love you & are love getting to be a part of these sweet babies lives!
lv,
Kim

The Blaszczynski Family said...

OK, reading your blog is not what I need to read first thing in the morning at work before calling back my first patient because I go to the lobby with my face red and puffy. Your children are so beautiful and so amazing. Everytime I see them I am overcome with God's Grace! The pictures are proof of His wonderful plan, not that we need proof, but sometimes honestly it helps! It was so wonderful seeing you last night, even for those few minutes, it makes my future seem more and more "real". Vince was so excited to see Kimmie and Quan, that's all we talked about last night was how excited we are. We're so blessed to have you guys in our lives and your family is so blessed to have ALL of you in it! Good luck with the nail polish, if you find out how to get it out let me know, I may need that trick later!
Love,
Amanda
P.S. GO SPARTANS! hahaha

Jan said...

I don't get to read (or post to) blogs much these days, but for some reason I pulled yours up this morning. I think God knew I needed to read it.

Thanks (and love ya),
Jan :-)

Southern Cheesehead said...

That is absolutely precious and so true! Just know that not everyone sees a "disability" before they see the child. You can be encouraged by that.

As for the nailpolish - thank God He gave me boys!!!

Oh...and btw...ROLL TIDE!!!

Sherri said...

I loved this post. Mia's special need can't be fixed, either. (even though Olivia diligently prays for her to grow a new arm!) God will be glorified in their lives.

I am reminded of the Steven Curtis Chapman song Fingerprints of God.

I can see the tears filling Your eyes
And I know where they're coming from
They're coming from a heart that's broken in two
By what you don't see
The person in the mirror
Doesn't look like the magazine
Oh, but when I look at you it's clear to me that...

I can see the fingerprints of God
When I look at you
I can see the fingerprints of God
And I know it's true
You're a masterpiece
That all creation quietly applauds
And you're covered with the fingerprints of God

Never has there been and never again
Will there be another you
Fashioned by God's hand
And perfectly planned
To be just who you are
And what He's been creating
Since the first beat of your heart
Is a living breathing priceless work of art and...

Just look at you
You're a wonder in the making
Oh, and God's not through, no
In fact, He's just getting started and…

Family4Liv said...

I love your posts!!!

Thankyou for being the mommy you are and sharing. Its so refreshing to know that yes we are all excepted the way we are, imperfections and all! I am so thanking the Lord for you and the warmth you have shown. All our babies have very special reasons why they are who they are and where they are. Everyone of our kids are each so special and loved!

Lisa said...

OOOPS! For the polish. Been there! They love it !
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful poem and a piece of your heart. I think we all have special needs sometimes. Some emotional, some physical, some can be fixed and some can't we just have to learn to deal with what God gave us and do the best we can with what we have. I have yet to meet Kimmie, but she looks like she could conquer just about anything she puts her little mind to.
Love,
Lisa

Tina said...

Awesome post,,very well stated!! I love the poem!

Laura said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comments on my blog. We're very excited about this amazing journey God is taking us on. We're just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. :) This is definately a HUGE step of faith for us. We're just trusting God to take care of EVERYTHING!

Kimmie and quan are absolutely presious!

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

All I can see that is you and your husband are the GREATEST parents of those two children!
I thank you both for taking them in and giving them so much love!

Robyn said...

Laine, I love your family. The nail polish thing is funny. I am waiting for Maggie to try and paint her own nails. She is really getting good at trying to unscrew the top. Carlie and her tooth was cracking me up Sunday. I saw her wiggling it and you told her it was fine and the next thing I saw was the tooth in her hand. She was so calm about it.

Kimmie and Quan are so precious just the way they are. I love the fact Maggie could care less what is wrong with Kimmie she is just so excited every Sunday that Kimmie and Quan are there for her to see. Annabelle was talking last night about how cute they are. She said that Quan was so cute and that his lip just looked so normal and she couldn't see anything wrong with it. She said "Kimmie just does whatever she wants with her little hands don't she Mommy?" I said she sure does, she doesn't let it slow her down. They are gifts from God and just as precious as they can be!!

Love you guys!! See you at dance!
Robyn :)

Green, Party of Four said...

Laine,
What an awesome post and stated so well. Every person is with a special need either or the inside or out. However, how hearts are so big though.

Lily is all about the polish too. I'm bad....I only let my Mom polish her toes and fingers...and occasionally her Daddy (but dont tell). Ms. Lily is all about m makeup.

Hugs to all and have a blessed day!
Green Party of Four