Thursday, December 20, 2007

It's a Wonderful Life

We began a tradition a few years ago. We meet some sweet friends at the Alabama Theater (beautiful, ornate, and old theater) to see It's a Wonderful Life. It's a long movie, but our children sit through it every year and like it almost as much as we do! They just love being with their friends really. Last night we continued the tradition, and it was so special. It was at the Alabama Theater in 2006 that we showed our friends their first glimpse of Kimmie and Quan. And there sat Kimmie and Quan last night, in person, watching it with us.
Needless to say I was very emotional! When the movie ended I looked around and it seemed I was the only one in tears. Shalita said "Laine, it's because you've LIVED this movie this year!" She's right. At the end, when all of George Bailey's friends come to his house and start heaping all their money on that table, one after another, it reminded me of our adoption experience. We might as well have been George & Mary and their 4 children. So many of you, our friends, neighbors, relatives, even people we never met, heaped money, prayers, and love on OUR "table" so we could bring these babies home! And there Kimmie and Quan sat, watching "It's A Wonderful Life" at the Alabama Theater with us, as if they'd been here forever! It was one of those "wow" moments...
Here's to George and that old building & loan. Here's to Juju's petals. Here's to the Buffalo Gals and to angels named "Clarence". And here's to the people of Bedford Falls who came together to help a family in need...Rob stated it so beautifully: "My favorite part was the community pulling together..." That is exactly what this adoption community does, as well as the community of Believers, and we are so grateful to all of you!
Merry Christmas! It truly is a wonderful life.

15 comments:

The Blaszczynski Family said...

You always put so many things into perspective for me! I have to agree with what you said about the adoption community, we have been truly amazed at the things people have done for us, including you guys. God has brought so many wonderful,and amazing friends into our lives through this experience and I can't wait for them to meet our "Zoey" in person. Then they can truly see the life they have changed!
Merry Christmas
"God Bless Us Every One", A Christmas Carol
Amanda B

Sherri said...

It doesn't take much to make me cry these days....I'm so emotional. I can see God's provision for all of us through this past year--not just monetarily, but emotionally as well.

What a wonderful year we've had! Our babies are here!

Sherri

Journey to Lilly! said...

It is a Wonderful life!! I love your Christmas Picture...& the kids making cookies is adorable! Hope you have the best...most "Wonderful Life" Christmas EVER!
lv u,
Kim

Walker said...

Merry Christmas Ferrills!! It is a Wonderful Life!!!
Love you!
Keisha~
ps.. I mailed the bows on Tues... I forgot about the "Christmas" rush. DUH! So, I don't know if they'll have enough time to wear them. Sorry! Don't send me any money, okay?! Just keep an eye out later for some "Valentine's Day" Bows! ;0) It'll be here before we know it!

The Young's said...

It truly IS a wonderful life. This year has really put that in perspective hasn't it? I cry at our traditional movie EVERY year too. I am SO emotional...especially when I think about my family. I think it's good!!! Love the pics making cookies. I am CLUELESS in the kitchen and I looked up a cookie recipe to TRY to do with the kids. WELL..........when the batter was done...they were drop cookies and we couldn't shape them into anything. UUGGG!!! So, unless some miracle of God happens and I learn my way around the kitchen and cooking...I'll have to leave the cookie baking to you guys!!! It does look fun though!!:) Have a wonderful Christmas. We love your family and consider 2007 more of a blessing because we've met your family!!! Love you guys!
Buffi

Monica said...

Laine,
That was beautifully said! I love the pictures of your sweet kids! It makes me smile to think of all of you watching that movie together...so sweet!
Merry Christmas!
Monica

Kelly Akers said...

I love your family and I love that tradition! It's a Wonderful Life is my all-time favorite movie...Ryan and I set aside a night to watch it together every year. Don't feel weird about being in tears...I haven't watched it yet without crying! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas as you celebrate it for the first time with Kimmie & Quan!

Lisa said...

The family photo is great! I love that movie. It looks like the kids are loving making the cookies.
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

Jodi said...

That was so sweet! And so true! May you all have a very blessed Christmas.
Love,
The CA Ferrills =)

Jeff and Sonya Hodge said...

This post is BEAUTIFUL!!! And, so is your family!!! God is just so GOOD!

TEARS!!!

Sonya

DeEtte said...

Aww..that was precious!! I hope you have the most wonderful Christmas ever with your sweet family. I loved what you said about the adoption community. It amazes me how our own family's stories continue to weave in and out with others' stories. We can all identify with the joys ANd struggles and that's where the support comes in.
love y'all!
DeEtte

mommy24treasures said...

wow. We used to LOOVE to go before Jacob and Chloe. We never attempted it with them. That sounds like a true miracle to me that all of your would sit through that long movie!

The AL Theatre is so pretty, it was one of my fav traditions.

Mike and Barb said...

What a fun tradition!
Isn't it amazing to look back and see God's hand so clearly in your life?
I love the cookie pictures too. My kids love to help, but they don't have that much "stamina", and then I"m all by myself baking again ;-))
Have a merry Christmas!
Barb

Stefanie said...

LOVE the family picture! You guys are such a beautiful family, inside and out :) It is such a blessing to follow your family's journey, Laine!

MichelleQ said...

LOL, I have almost the exact same post on my blog! (about It's a Wonderful Life, how it's my favorite all-time movie, we go see it every year, what it means to me, yada yada yada! www.quicks5.blogspot.com)

Great minds think alike!!!