Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Happy Six Months Gotcha Day, Kimmie and Quan!

In some ways it seems hard to believe that it has ONLY been six months since that sweet day in Wuhan. Haven't they been with us forever? What was life like before? It must have been boring, I'm sure! Katie Lyn, Colby, Clay, and Carlie ask the question more and more frequently, "Momma, what if we didn't have Kimmie and Quan? Aren't ya so glad we have them?" Yes, sweet babies. And I'm so glad that they have the best older siblings EVER!


Then in other ways it seems like time has crept by, that we would never make it to the glorified six month point. Everyone says "Just wait until you get to the six month mark, things will be so much better..." Haven't yall heard that before? Lo and behold, those people who told me that were... RIGHT! Things ARE so much better. I feel I know Kimmie and Quan so much more like a momma knows her babies' hearts. I know them more intimately, more sweetly. I can tell when Kimmie is about to lose it, and more often than not I can tell WHY she is about to lose it. I can see Quan's eagerness to be loved and accepted coming out in his goofy clownish ways, and I can squeeze him and tell him he doesn't have to show out..."I'm always gonna be your momma forever and ever, Quan!" and then watch him smile that slow sweet little impish grin.

Are any of you not to the six months point yet? Just wait and you will see! Even at the 3 month mark there is so much improvement. If you're like me, when you're walking through the initial adjustment, it seems it will NEVER get better. "How?" I would ask myself..."HOW is it going to get better?" Now in retrospect I see it's lots of God's grace and TIME. TIME! Looking back, I wish I could have had more faith, and less faltering. Patience has never been one of my strong points, but through all this the Lord is teaching me much. Praise Him!

Are any of you in the process of your first adoption, or another adoption, or thinking about adopting? What a privilege! Not a day goes by that I do not thank Jesus for allowing us to adopt, to do something so very close to his heart. Adoption paints such a beautiful picture in families; it did in ours. Kimmie and Quan now have a last name...they are Ferrills through and through! And our family is so blessed to call them our own! And now to sum up how much they have been "grafted" (to use Buffi's word!:) into our family, here is a conversation that took place last night between me and Clay-8 yrs. old.
Clay, while watching me dry K & Q off from their bath: "MOMMA! Kimmie has a bad bruise on her bottom!!!!"
Me: "Clay, she's had that since we got her buddy. That's her mongolian spot, have you never seen it? Quan has one too, see? Many Asian children have them."
Clay: "They're ASIAN?"
Me: "um...yes" wanting to say.."remember you went to CHINA with us to get them, buddy?" :)
Now THAT does crack me up!

16 comments:

mommyofmany said...

Oh, I love it! God is indeed working miraculous things in your family. We are tremendously blessed to be able to "see" some of it through your blog, Laine. Your descriptions make it easy to visualize what's happening in the day-to-day. Thank you so much! We're still just THRILLED for your (and our) family.

Love to all,
Sandy for the Chelsea Ferrills

Robyn said...

Oh Clay you are so cute!! Quan's cute little smile just melts my heart at church. Maggie just loves them both so much and so do all of the Beasley family. I can't believe that is has already been 6 months, it seems like they have been Ferrills longer. I can see the change for the good in them too. They are more open and expressive. They are so precious!! We love you guys!!
Robyn

Sherri said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is so funny! They're ASIAN???? My kids thought it was called "Mongolian butt"!

It IS so nice to be on the other side of 6 months, isn't it? What a blessing. Are you ready to do it again? Two at a time again?????

Sherri

Jana said...

Laine:

They are SO precious and I love how you can just tell how much they love each other!! We are indeed a blessed bunch and it amazes me too how time has passed so quickly, how much Oakley has come into her own and into the hearts of our family. Kimmie and Quan are adorable -- we LOVE your family!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's been 6 months!!! It seems like yesterday yet so long ago at the same time. I'll never forget that hot, life-changing, wonderfully sweet day in Wuhan!!! And tell Rob that I made all my friends at school watch the video and they loved it! 3 of my friends cried when they wathced it...it was a good cry though. I miss all of you and being able to watch those precious babies grow! I love you all!!!

Kylie

mommy24treasures said...

oh so sweet, looks like they are 2 peas in a pod just like Jacob and Chloe! I love it love it, cherish these mooments, as I know you do...
I love seeing how their health has blossomed and they look so alive now. Love is the ultimate healer...

The Princess's Mommy said...

What a sweet post! Those two just make my heart smile seeing them together! Your whole family is just so precious! Thank you for sharing them with us!
Love,
Monica

The Young's said...

Laine...you just bless me! I love to read about your family. It truly is hard to believe it has been 6 months. I just told a friend today, that is waiting...that I totally understand where she is in the waiting and how hard it is. But, it will not be long before you're on the other side looking back. Now, how many times did someone tell me the same thing...and it really didn't help...but it was SO true!! Time flies. We can't imagine life without Sadie either! We are both blessed families!!! Love you guys!
Buffi

Family4Liv said...

Isnt it awesome to look back now in retrospect, to see the hands of God in every way! Your kids are such blessings how they all came together for these sweet babies. You all have brought so many who have followed, many blessings indeed!

Congrats on 6 mos together!!

Jan said...

Laine,

As I was reading your post, I was thinking about how truly awesome God is that He would place us in the same neighborhood, knowing we would both be adopting toddlers from China and that we would need each other to make it through the rough days ahead. I am so grateful to Him for giving me such a sweet friend.

Happy Six Months Gotcha Day Anniversary!

Love,
Jan

Walker said...

LOL! If we could olny look upon others the way small children do...

Too cute! I'm glad Kimmie and Quan are adjusting well. They should, they have the best little family ever. ;0)
love you!
Keisha

MichelleQ said...

Sweet Clay!!

And yes, I've wanted to adopt since I was little. In fact, I have a journal from my Senior year of high school where I wrote what my plans were after graduation--I wasn't going to have any biological children but adopt MANY of different cultures, etc. Oh well! God had other plans and if it's still in His plan for us to do what He has put on my heart, He definitely has His work cut out for Him with Jeff! Maybe someday...

Tina said...

COngrats on 6 mos...It really is a milestone. 12 mos is even better if you can believe it. I love checking up on your family!!

DeEtte said...

I posted a comment on here last night - REALLY! Or, did I just dream I did? Or did I post it somewhere else? If some other blogger got a congrats for 6 months post from me and you aren't celebrating 6 months home now, umm..it was meant for Laine! Anyway, they look SO happy and SO at home! Precious children! And I LOVe Clay's comment!
love, DeEtte

The Woodalls said...

Been following your blog for some time and have been amazed at your journey! Whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed, I think about you!! :) Happy 6 months Gotcha Day!

Emily Woodall

Stefanie said...

How I LOVED to read this post! You said it so well, as usual, Laine :) What a blessing they are TO you and BY you, as their ever lovin' mama! Isn't it precious how our bio kids just simply accept their new siblings without question? Our Dalton wants to know who's tummy HE grew in, and seems genuinely disappointed when I tell him it was MINE ;)