Thursday, May 22, 2008

Opportunity to Intercede in Prayers and Giving

The Lord is giving us, fellow believers, much opportunity to pray and help others.

First and foremost tonight our prayers are for the Chapmans in their loss of Maria. Though I haven't the words to pray right now, I know God hears my hearts cry for that family and their son especially. My heart breaks...

Second, the situation in Myanmar and China is still there. It is going to be there for a long long long time. It is not going away tomorrow. These people lost EVERYTHING. They are sleeping outside, or in tents. Orphanage babies in tents. Now there are even MORE orphans because of losing their parents in the disasters. I am guilty of saying "Oh I will donate to that cause tomorrow or next week or something" and then going about my happy little day toting my kids around town and having fun. God has got hold of me this last week. No longer will I put this off. It's HIS money, and He wants us to use it to further HIS Kingdom. As Ohilda said so perfectly...every little dollar DOES make a difference!

There are so many opportunities God gives us everyday to GIVE! Just this week we have received 4 letters from friends or organizations needing help. It's not pestering, it's not junk mail, it's not aggravating...It's OPPORTUNITY. I thank God for opportunities to further His Kingdom, even if it's in a small way.

Oh that I would get off my lazy duff and do that action of GIVING, instead of just saying "Oh, that would be a nice thing to do." Lord, light the fire under me to do your bidding in everything!

Here are three ways to help the people of China:
Caring for China-this one is close to my heart
Love without Boundaries
Half the Sky

And Myanmar:
Samaritan's Purse

"Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them, saying : Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted..." Matthew 5:1-4

7 comments:

mommy24treasures said...

Amen Laine, I too have been guilty of saying oh what a wonderful opportunity and not doing anything. I pray with you I will be more diligent about obeying that whisper in my heart quickly.

MichelleQ said...

You're right, every little bit does help and I'm grateful that it does since that's all I can do--a little bit. Wish my circumstances were different but it is what it is. Never underestimate the power of prayer, though. Prayer can do amazing things that money and things can't.

Tina said...

This has been so sad and the Chapman family has been so on my heart. I too have been guilty of saying, oh I will give tomorrow...
Thanks for the reminder!

Nicole said...

Thanks so much Laine. I am guilty of this too... meaning to help but not quite doing it. As we were power washing our desk yesterday I thought to myself "I'm power washing the deck and the Chapmans hearts are breaking." Those feelings are so raw.

-Nicole

Jana said...

Laine:

What a wonderful post and call to action. I just received a letter from Samaritan's purse today and I will be giving!! We seem to be surrounded right now with heartache and tragedy. But I have no doubt that greater things will come from this despair and that God is reminding us of our need to rely on Him. In time of great need and devastation, people pull together, find a common bond, and work for the greater good. May He receive the glory!

The Princess's Mommy said...

Laine,
What a beautiful post! We are praying for all the families and especially the Chapmans. Just heartbreaking...

Monica

Anonymous said...

Laine thank you for this post! I was wondering who are the Champans? We are in prayer for them and their loss but are not sure of who they are.
Thank you again for your willingness to obey Christ!
Beth Furr