Monday, May 12, 2008

The road to our 7th child

I am feeling the love!!!!!

Thank you for all your praises with us to our King! He is mighty! I have lost all focus for the day...laundry? dinner? chores? Who cares...we have PA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One would think we might celebrate by going to eat Chinese...not us. Mexican, baby! ;)

In the midst of celebration is also anxiety and angst over the devastation and loss from the horrible earthquake that hit our children's birth country during the night. Oh so many lives lost...it's incomprehensible. Please join in prayer wherever you are for the families of China, and those who are waiting to bring home their children. So many unknowns, yet we know God is sovereign and compassionate and merciful and has unfailing love. Right now we cling to that and pray the people of China will see Him and His tender mercies during this time. Our 7th blessing is safe and sound as far as we know, thank you Jesus.


Before I share with you about the child GOD picked out for our family, I must share with you a little background...a little God thang goin' on...make that a BIG God thang goin' on! ;)

The road to our 7th blessing began in September 2006. Rob and I had just said yes to God calling us to adopt. We were scanning Lifeline's SN list. A little boy on that list caught my eye. Later Rob asked me if I thought any of those children would fit our family. I said there was one. He said he saw one too. And yes, he picked out the same little boy I did. We fasted and prayed over this child.

His name on the list was "Zachary". He had a deformed ear. He was 7 yrs old. He had been with a foster family his whole life. As we prayed if he was the child God intended for us, the Lord kept giving me verses about the afflicted, the poor, and the needy. Psalm 139 came up numerous times during my seeking the Lord's will. I tried to ignore it. I was hesitant. SCARED.
How could I adopt a SEVEN year old with a deformed ear who was attached so much to his foster family...I was terrified! Rob on the other hand was GUNG-HO, let's do it, I'm ready! This scared me even more. At this time I almost audibly heard the voice of God whisper to my spirit, "This little boy deserves to hear about Jesus, too."

I ignored that voice, and we did not pursue Zachary. But we did continue to pursue adoption and we began our home study.
It was not fun to see that side of myself; a side that is ready to follow God when it seems easy and fun, but not ready to obey when it looks too hard. I was surprised at my emotions and reactions. In the meantime Zachary’s file had gone back to China and all I could do was hope and pray that he would find his family. Later I began to question and wonder did God want us to adopt him and I was walking in disobedience? Rob was so neutral. Whatever and whoever was fine with him! So I just prayed and prayed that Zachary would get placed on another agency’s special needs list and be adopted.
And I never forgot what God whispered to me.

Of course as time went on, we were matched with Kimmie and Quan as you all know, and the rest is history! I realized that if we had pursued Zachary we would not have Kimmie and Quan, the precious children God picked out for our family. I began to have a peace about little Zachary, though I still wondered if he ever found his forever family.

In March, 2007, I was checking email and saw a posting to a yahoo group about a little boy who needed a family. The agency was offering grant money for his adoption. I immediately thought of Zachary. Could it be him? I scrolled down the list of children to the little boy, and no, it wasn't him. I continued scrolling down and right below him was another little boy...unmistakably Zachary! He DID make it on another list. And the best part? Right above his name said the words: "Status: I found my family!"

Oh such relief, such joy! My heart ached for this little boy who absolutely did deserve to hear about Jesus. And now I knew he would. God used Zachary to change my heart...to get me to the place where I would know and believe what He told me about Zachary: EVERY child deserves to know about Jesus and deserves a FAMILY! No matter their age, their need, their color, their health...they deserve to hear about Jesus. God had a plan for Zachary to be in another family, just like He planned for Kimmie and Quan to be in our family!

And so, when we knew God called us to adopt again, we contacted an agency to give them our information and inquire about the possibility of adopting from China again. On Feb. 1, 2008, we received the file of a child from this agency.

A girl. 7 years old. TWO deformed ears. Lived with a foster family her whole life. And the file is from the same agency who found Zachary's family.

A chance for a mommy to say yes to God, no matter how scary or unknown or crazy it is. An opportunity for the Lord to bring a mommy full circle. A mommy who is ready this time, who will not say no again. Because this little girl deserves to hear about Jesus too.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just getting ready to comment to your last post when I had to leave the computer and to my surprise, when I returned a couple minutes later, a new post. So happy for you all on this next journey!! I can't wait to see here how God will take care of all the details on the adoption as well. Happy belated Mother's day!

Julie Hand
P.S. You are not allowed to cross the GA border again without letting us know you are coming :)
Looks like you had a great time.

mommy24treasures said...

Amen Laine...I am so happy tonight.

The Princess's Mommy said...

Oh Laine! I am crying tears of joy for you and for this precious little girl!!! I can't believe it!!! What an awesome God we have and what a wonderful faithful family to recieve such an amazing blessing!!! I am so excited for you I can hardly stand it!!!!
Love,
Monica

The Woodalls said...

Congrats on your PA!!

God also used another child to open our hearts to an older SN child. We didn't say no; China said no!! The CCAA said she was too old for our family (she was 8). Go figure. But, it was God at work, and now we have our Rebecca, the little girl meant to be in our family since the day her birth mother laid her at the gate of that factory. (Rebecca's finding ad even ran on my 30th birthday!)

Emily

Green, Party of Four said...

Wow.....what an amazing testimony. My last blog to read tonight will be yours. I will go to bed and thank God for giving this precious little a girl a forever family. What a blessing you and your family are to all of us.

I pray for your little angel that is waiting for you and give those other angels a big kiss from Aunt Connie.

Love
Green Party of Four (soon to be Five)

living4him5 said...

I am in tears of joy! What a wonderful, wonderful story...I cannot wait to see this angel with her forever family. This is so exciting!!

many blessings!
Amy

Lisa said...

Laine, I am so happy for your family. I can't wait to follow the Ferrill's to China again. God is awesome. I can't wait to see what he has in store for your family as this adoption unfolds.
God Bless you and your family! I can't wait to meet the little Ferrill.

Sherri said...

What a beautiful path He has taken you on. Congratulations!

So.....what "K" name will it be this time? Or will you keep her China name?

So I'm guessing the whole "no more than 5 kids" thing has gone by the wayside at the CCAA?

Sherri

mabrynelson said...

oh Aunt Laine I am so excited for what God is doing in your life!!

oh, and if you don't want to change Pa to a K name, you could always rename your other six children:

Polly, Paul, Pat, Pam, Paprika, and... and... Pudge? I ran out of Ps. okay so it doesn't exactly work as well as K names, but it was just a suggestion :)

I love you so much! I can't wait to see how this journey unfolds!

Stefanie said...

Laine! How God has worked in your heart... I LOVED reading this and got goosebumps BOTH times :)
As in your journey, God used other children to open our hearts in preparation for the child He intended for us. How PERFECT His plan is!! Zachary WILL hear about Jesus and so will YOUR little girl!!! :)
Lots of love!
Stefanie

Walker said...

Precious!! I love hearing your "God thang!" lol!!
Wow!
Matt & I are so happy for yall!! Congrats!!

Jag är jag said...

I've been lurking around here for a while - admiring your six miracle children. How awesome that a seventh is going to join them soon!!! You are very blessed!
Love from Germany
Dagmar

Family4Liv said...

whew! What a path! Amazing how each stepping stone layed in front of us by the good lord is put down in order for us to come to that path where we belong!! The lord had little Zhachary be the vessel for that precious little girl, who was meant to be your daughter!

I cannot wait to hear more see her pic again, she is a cutie pie girl!Im curious about names too!
Cathy

Family4Liv said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina said...

Oh Praise God I am sooo excited!YES PA PA PA PA PA!!! WOO HOO
I remember "Zachary" he is from the same orphanage as Sophie. Sophie is from Chengdu(where the earthquake hit). Thankfully the orphanage there is ok. Praise God! I am sooo excited about your beautiful new daughter!

Mike and Barb said...

Oh, Laine, that is a beautiful testimony! Your godly heart is such a testimony to me! Such a blessing.
Congratulations on your new DAUGHTER!!!
Love, Barb

The Ferrill's said...

Mabry I just love you...PA stands for Pre Approval, honey! That is not the name of our daughter, though Pa has a nice ring! I especially like Pudge! LOL! And Paprika! ;) We're definitely going with another "k" sound...can't decide on the other parts of her name though!

MichelleQ said...

You are such an inspiration to me! I can't wait to see pictures of your new daughter!

Kristy said...

Sweet tears of JOY.
Praising Him with you.....
Blessings ~

Greg and Steph said...

WOW!! How awesome!!! I am crying right now! HAPPY TEARS!!!
We are praying for y'all! I am sooo thrilled for you all!!!!
Blessings,
Steph

Nicole said...

WOW! Such a beautiful story! The Lord is always faithful!!!! And remember... God is never late, He is never early... He is always RIGHT ON TIME.

LOVE,
-Nicole

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I have read your blog - my daughter was born with a radial club hand(left one)- I would love to hear from you about what her drs. have planned as far as surgery, etc. My email is shrnitly@yahoo.com
Sharon

Mom To Six said...

Ok, Laine! You just HAVE to start posting "tissue warnings" when you write like this. I don't know how in the world I missed this post, because I LOVE your blog.

You are an amazing Godly woman and a true inspiration. God has led me to you for a reason, and it is rare when He doesn't use you to deliver a message to me.

Thank you!! And again, congratulations on your beautiful girl.