Monday, April 20, 2009

Book Faves

Hey Friends!
I love you all too much NOT to share what I've been reading lately...if you're interested, that is!

In our homeschool curriculum from Sonlight science was included a wonderful book about God's glorious plan for conception, birth, body changes, etc. It is "Almost 12" by Kenneth Taylor. I HIGHLY recommend this short, easy to read book for any parent who has children who are about to go through puberty or right smack dab in the middle of it. I preferred reading it aloud with our older children. It is super easy to read and could be done easily in two days with about 15 min. or so reading per day....

Here is an excerpt so you can see how it is based on God's Word and His plan...

From pg. 6:
"Sometimes other kids, and even adults who don't know better, laugh and giggle and tell dirty jokes and silly stories about this wonderful process of being born. But the beginning of life is one of the most important and fascinating events in this world. We need to realize what it means for God to create a new life and send it into the world to serve Him. God's marvelous plan for creating new life should cause amazement and rejoicing, not giggling!"

From pg. 44--the closing segment of the book:
"God has made you for Himself. You are His; He bought you when He died on the cross. And if you have given yourself to Him to be your Savior, you want to honor Him in all that you think and say and do. Everything you say and do you have thought about first. Therefore you can understand why it is so important to think right thoughts. If you think right thoughts about sex through your teen years and wait until you are married for sexual pleasures, you will be rewarded for your patience and discipline. "You reap what you sow" is one of God's principles that is as effective in this area of life as it is in all other areas. I hope that knowing how wonderfully God has made you will help you to love Him more. Give him your body to keep, as well as your mind and heart."

We have always been very open with our children about sex, body changes, etc. from an early age. This book just cemented a lot of the basics for our older children in a very godly way. It is the first book I've used in teaching about sex. We've always just talked to our kids when we felt the door opened for these conversations...

I hope this isn't offending anyone! I think in this day and age we need to be the ones teaching our children about this glorious plan from God! And Rob and I are certainly not the model examples of teaching about purity...our high school and college days were seasons of many mistakes-due to our own wrong choices and our hearts not following Christ. However we cling to the fact that we are walking with the Lord NOW and FOREVER and we desire to teach the TRUTH to our children in obedience to His call...out of love for GOD and our children.

I was going to share with you another book fave but I'm out of time! It's SUPER good...not about sex or anything--just challenging my faith in a good way...it's called "Living Water" by Brother Yun. (He has written a book before this: "The Heavenly Man" and I really want to read it next) Brother Yun is an evangelistic preacher from China who has withstood great persecution and trials. Here is an excerpt from pg. 116:

"I want to share with you the key secret for how Christians can experience a continual flow of living water in their lives. In my opinion, this key is the one major thing missing in the Western church and among sections of the body of Christ in other parts of the world.

The answer to experiencing God's living water is not to seek more and more Bible teaching.

The answer is not to attend more Christian conferences or seek new ministers with new messages.

Please listen carefully. The key to experiencing the flow of God's living water in your life is...

Obedience...

God doesn't want you to know everything and do nothing."


Yes, Lord! May we always be doers of your Word!

And sweet friends, I would LOVE to hear about your book faves, too!

18 comments:

southern cheesehead said...

Well, after you recommended Reckless Faith I certainly adhere to your book recommendations. Reckless Faith is one of the best books I've ever read and it was your recommendation!!! I haven't been reading a book since I've been in Bible Study on Monday nights and also in Gary's LifeGroup on Sunday night. What's the deal with so much homework in these Bible Studies? Anyway, I've got a marketing book (A New Brand World) that I'm reading when Ernie and I go on our trip...the next time I'll finally have time to read! I guess I should be more spiritual and get a Christian book too, huh?! :-)

mommy24treasures said...

thanks for the book idea Laine:)
We have Heavenly Man. Its amazing!
Love and admire Brother Y so much. His wife as well. Such a beautiful family. My heroes.

Tammy said...

Thanks for sharing about the books! My dd turns 12 this year and I have been looking for another good one. We used the Lily books at the beginning of the year. I really like those, as well.

I read Heavenly Man. I look forward to reading his other one you mentioned.

p.s. Thanks for stopping by. We received a big "no" on our other request. :(

Mama Hen said...

Laine, will you come and read it to my boys also? :)

Mike and Barb said...

Oh, good, I have been looking for a book along those lines!
Another couple of books that I just ordered for Nico are by Bob Schultz, and one is called "Boyhood an beyond" (practical wisdom for becoming a man), and "Created for Work" . I really like both of them, and we want to read them with him.
Barb

The Princess's Mommy said...

Hi Laine!
Thanks for the recommendation on the Brother Y book. I'm going to add it to my summer reading list!

Hope you are having a great week!
Love ya,
Monica

MichelleQ said...

Mine are on my blog--I always have a section of what I read recently, etc. We've always taken the same approach with our kids but we were careful to answer only the questions they were asking, if you kwim! There is a series of books at Lifeway--the name escapes me right now but they have a book for every level of maturity. i.e. the preschool book talks about the differences between boys/girls, the next about where babies come from, the next about changes, etc. and then the final talks about God's plan for sex and family. My teen is reading it now! I love how the series progresses and it has a Christian feel to it without shoving it down your throat if you kwim! It doesn't say "wait till your married because God said so!" it actually EXPLAINS WHY God said so!

Rebekah said...

I really like to read and in my spare time (almost extinct nowadays)my favorites are Beverly Lewis' books.

However, we recently read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom to our children and were all amazed and humbled by her and her family's experience. I think we will always remember it.

Keisha said...

Hey Lanie! Well said! Thanks for the recommendation. I'm curious about this "reckless faith" book as well....

Ohilda said...

Laine,

Oh! How I wish I would've had known about this book when Amanda was 11. But I know now for the little ones. THANK YOU!!!

Hugs,

Ohilda

Sherri said...

Sarah read Heavenly Man and loved it.

Have you read Silent Tears? Heartbreaking. Riveting.

Now my favorite book series to read for fun.....you definitely need to read the Anne George books. She's from Birmingham (deceased now, I'm sorry to say) and her series is called the Southern Sisters mysteries. They have titles like "Murder on a Bad Hair Day" "Murder Boogies with Elvis" "Murder Gets a Life". They are hysterical and you, coming from a family of sisters, would enjoy them tremendously.

She also mentions things that will be familiar to you..... such as the Vulcan. One of the sisters' house is situated with a view of his hind end.

I'm going to dig them out and read them this week!

living4him5 said...

Thank you for the book recommedation, I can't wait to hear the other one.

As a mother of a teen boy that has pledged (on his own) to save himself for marriage this is something I would like to get my hands on. Thank you my friend!

love ya!

Oatsvall Team said...

good idea ... if we don't tell them God's plan for an intimate relationship then someone will !!!

Linda said...

I'm glad you mentioned this. Joanna is Miss Question, and she has been asking lots of them for about a year now. I keep putting her off because the other girls are always with us, and some of her questions are quite a bit more detailed (and explicit) than I want to answer. This summer will be a good time to talk about all of this. Since she has no inhibitations with her questions, I just know that the first one will be, "Did you and Dad do this? Oh yuck!" Ya know, I never had trouble talking to my boys, but something about suddenly having a half grown child brings out the modesty in me!

BTW, I laughed when I read your comment about naming the cabbage. If you knew my luck with growing edible plants, you would just be cheering it on to live! If we make it past the first month, I promise to let the naming begin!

Nicole said...

Beautiful! "God doesn't want you to know everything and do nothing". I love it!
:-)
-Nicole

Aimee said...

Laine,
I am terrible at talking about sex with my kids. I just chicken out most of the time. Thanks for the rec. I will look into that!

Is that Brother Yun book in the Voice of the Martyrs mail out? I think I saw it in there and I have been wanting to read it. There is another guy in there that I want to read to. I love the books that they recommend. Life changing. And really, with my lack of time, that is all I want to read!!

Love you!

Linda said...

Hey Laine - I just started wondering how the furry Ferrills are doing. Other than your Christmas pictures, I don't think I have seen or heard about them. Have they grown a lot, or are they small dogs?

"Inquiring minds want to know" ~ lol!

Amy said...

thank you Laine!