Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Truth is....

I am not very amazing.

I struggle to get my kiddos out the door and to their activities on time.

I start barking at kiddos, and yes even at my husband, when it's time to leave the house.

I wait until the very last minute to get things ready to go....and then I do the mad scramble to get out the door.

All the while I'm wondering why we have so many activities to begin with.

And at the same time thinking of all I have to do in the next two weeks.

Even though thinking of all I have to do in the next two weeks is the LAST thing I need to think about while I'm trying to get us all out the door.

Because then I get totally overwhelmed and getting out the door seems like I'm packing us up for a six month mission trip.

When really, we're just leaving the house for an hour or two.

And inevitably someone has an amazing story or dream to tell me about while I'm trying to shove people out the door and into the car...

Because they forgot the rule to "Don't tell Mom any stories 15 minutes prior to departure."

I made that rule because when they tell me stories that means they're not thinking about getting their dance bag or their soccer cleats or their thirteenth Polly Pocket/Hot Wheels to take in the car.

And then we drive off and they forgot their dance bag or soccer cleats or thirteenth Polly Pocket/Hot Wheels because they were so busy telling me that story about what happened in Sunday School four years ago.

And of course, I forget to remind them to get what they need because I'm thinking about all I have to do in the next two weeks.

And then I proceed to call husband because it's all his fault.

Naturally.

And then I vow that for the 2009/2010 school year, we are taking the plunge and doing no extra activities.

Then I feel guilty about that.

And I take it back.

Because frankly, I'm not amazing.

I get undone by 1) getting everyone out the door.

And 2) crowds.

And 3) shuttle buses.

Those three things are my nemesis.

Or, on a more spiritual level I could say those three things "build my character".

And guess what?

In 4 days, those three things are about to become magnified by 350% in my life.

I'm going to have so many opportunities to "build my character" that when it's all said and done I will probably be mistaken for Mother Teresa.

Or an ogre, either one.

Because....





We're going to Disney World, baby! ;)

21 comments:

Sherri said...

Have fun!

allisonlittle said...

I hope ya'll have a wonderful time!

mommy24treasures said...

have fun Laine, I too find it challenging to just go to the grocery store sometimes. I totally understand and relate to the overwhelmed feeling and the feeling guilty for barking at everyone.

Dollar General said...

I thought you were calling to tell me you really wanted me to go with you to Disney World! HA! Maybe next time...when I'm not so pregnant...IF next time I'm not so pregnant! I can't wait to see all the pictures and hear all the stories...HAVE FUN!

Aunt Pearl said...

Woohoo! How many strollers will you need? How many Dumbos and teacups? That's so exciting! You all are going to have a blast - and I think all moms know how to pass an act of Congress to get everyone out the door. Gretchen says to have a Magical Day! Actually, this season, it's the TIME OF YOUR LIFE! Celebrate YOU! LOL, Laura

CK said...

Thanks for making my normal day look, well, NORMAL! So excited for you and this special, exciting, memory building time with your precious family!

Aaron and Erica said...

Thanks for being so "real" with us :) I need to work on my character too...

We absolutely LOVE Disney World!!! Have a wonderful, wonderful time!

Erica

Buffi said...

WHOO HOOO!!!! I'm SO Excited for you guys!! This is going to be so awesome!!! They've got some GREAT specials going on right now...especially for kids! It's a wonderful time to go! I can't wait to see you all enjoy it!! I just love you Laine...and YES...You are amazing!!!
Love ya,
Buffi

southern cheesehead said...

I'm so excited for you guys!!!!! And by the way...YES you ARE amazing...our Savior told me so! :-)

Jana said...

You'll have a blast. Deep breaths, deep breaths!!

connie said...

woohoo, disney world! How exciting, no matter how many times you'll have to make the scramble to get out the door! Sometimes I think if I put off getting things ready to go out the door that the planned activity will somehow go away :) Hasn't happened yet.
Love from OK~

Mom to my China Posse said...

Yeah!!!!!!!! When you goign were going to eb there August 5-12th! Celebrating mine, kamryn and Abby's birthdays!

The Princess's Mommy said...

Oh.My.Gosh!!!!! You really ARE the Woman!!! Have a wonderful magical time! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Love you,
Monica

Tammy said...

What fun! Have a great time!

MichelleQ said...

Haven't you heard? ALL moms are amazing!!! If you weren't not frazzled by those things you were mentioned, I would think you were some sort of alien instead of one terrific lady! Chin up, girlfriend!

MichelleQ said...

Oh yeah and have a BLAST at Disney!!!

living4him5 said...

YAHOO!!!! LOVE IT!

Can't wait to see all the pics...Where are you staying??? We were just there in Feb and had a wonderful time!

Hugs, love and LOTS of prayers!!!

Amy

Trace Car Driver said...

i am with ya 100% on the getting out the door thing. it seems like i have to pack the whole world in my van just to go to my moms house. and all i really need is myself and the kids, b/c obviously bitsy has everything we could need, and probably more :) thanks for being so honest, please know we all fall short! and in lots of the same areas! i can barely handly 2 some days, can't imagine 7! but anyways...

OH.MY.GOODNESS... SERIOUSLY??? DISNEYWORLD??? IT WILL BE SOOOOOOOOOOO.MUCH.FUN. please please please take lots of pics, AND post them :) hope ya'll have a BLAST!

Nicole said...

WOW! Have great fun! I will be thinking about you AND praying for you as you depart to the "happiest place on earth"!
Love,
-Nicole

Green, Party of Five said...

Wow....I thought it was just US when we go out the door that acted that way. I thought it would be easier with a Van, well that means more stuff to take (haha).

Disney World....oh I cant wait to hear all the details. You need to find all the details because we plan to take the family for Spring Break next year.

We love you guys and cant wait to see you. Please come to the reunion (Lifeline) in July.

Hugs
Connie

ethel said...

Have fun in Orlando. Hope you have a safe trip. Just got home from the recital. The girls did awesome. They looked so cute in their costumes and could they all shake it!!!! What supportive brothers too, they didn't seem to mind being there. Love ya all. Ethel