Thursday, June 18, 2009

"34"--and it's a looooooooong one

This blog post is super long. Super. Sorry, but the events needed to be documented because by next week I'm likely to have forgotten every bit of it. This title of the blog post is my rendition of the T.V. show "24". It would be titled "24" except the following events occurred in roughly 34 hours. Hence....

"34"

12:45 Tuesday. Our beach trip was so refreshing! We completed our trip Tuesday by eating at my favorite restaurant in Gulf Shores, Sea-n-Suds. It surely did not disappoint! The weather was beautiful; I took some sweet pictures on the pier. We had full bellies as we loaded up the Big Daddy Van and headed north. Colby and Clay were a bit under the weather with fevers, but with ibuprofen they perked up and were ready to go.


Here we go.

1:30 p.m. Tuesday
South of Evergreen, (and for those of you familiar with this trek of I-65, you know this is rightfully called "No Mans Land") the van began slowing down. I was asleep and thought Rob was stopping for gas, but alas when I opened my eyes we were pulling over 0nto the side of the interstate. I looked over at Rob as he grins a fake smile and says "Oh, happy day."

Being the ever-watching wise husband he is, he spotted a rest area on the south-bound side so he coasted a while until we were almost exactly across the interstate from it. (Thank you Lord for this providence and mercy from you!) Little did I know how this rest area would soon become a home away from home.

After Rob made some calls to our insurance roadside assistance, we all brought the necessities out of the van (that would be my camera, the portable DVD player (again, thank you Lord for prompting me to bring that) and of course we couldn't leave the Nintendo DS games--) and I gave orders as to who would hold whose hand, stay together, let Daddy be in the lead, etc. Maybe it's just me, but crossing the interstate with seven children in tow makes me a little nervous.

Hi-ho, Hi-ho, it's over the interstate we go....through the median, lost a flip-flop but quickly re-gained it, stepped in an ant bed but the coast is clear....Now RUN CHILDREN RUN!!!!!!!! And they did. Whew, we made it across! Now it's just a short walk down the rest area service road and we made it.

Ahhhh....a rest stop! Air conditioning, candy and coke machines, coupon books and Alabama travel books galore...what more could we ask for? (By the way, if any one wants to know where Patsy Riley recommends to eat, or what hotels have the best deals, or which state parks to visit in AL, just call me.)

At this point, this adventure is really an adventure. A rest stop! The kiddos thought it was fascinating. That of course lasted about 15 minutes.

Eight hours later we are still in the rest stop.

Oh, but so much occurred in those eight hours! James, our new rest stop worker friend, recommended an honest mechanic. Steve and Jeff, our new mechanic friends towed Big Daddy Van to the rest area and checked it out head to tow. ;) "Needs a new fuel pump, I'm afraid. It'll take me awhile to get it, then I got to siphon all the gas out (we had just filled up...grins.) and it's gonna be awhile."

'Kay.

I called the Clarks, who were still at the beach and who had desperately tried to get us to stay for a few more days and who right about now we were extremely sad that we didn't obey them, and they began praying. They wanted to come get us but we were hopeful the van would be fixed in a matter of hours, so we firmly told them no way. I also called Kylie because I was so sad she was not on this adventure with us. I'm sure she feels the same way. NOT.


At some point in the afternoon (forgive me, the hours ran together) Rob in desperation said "Call Christine, your Monroeville friend!" Christine is indeed my sweet fellow adoptive momma and indeed does live in Monroeville which is close to Evergreen...so I called and left her a message. I didn't really know what she could do to help, but I just knew she was close.

Rob continued to walk out to check on the progress on the van. One time he came in and said that Jeff was sick and had a stomach virus all morning. Jeff came in shortly after and laid down flat on the cold tile rest area floor. James, rest area worker friend, promptly mopped the floor as soon as Jeff went back outside. James was so accommodating, bringing me a folding chair to sit in, offering us his leftover fried okra and fried chicken livers from his lunch. It was very sweet, but we politely declined.

If only I were making this up.

Another time after checking on the van progress, Rob came in to tell me that Steve was siphoning the gas out of the van. With a rubber hose. And his mouth. And spitting the gas out of his mouth.

If only I were making this up.

Later Rob went outside again to pray for Jeff's healing. He asked Jeff if he was a Christian, and he said he was. Thank you Lord for my husband who is not afraid.

He came back in to tell me he had prayed with Jeff. And to tell me that there were van parts all over the pavement. ALL OVER. It was then that the van changed from Big Daddy Van to Humpty Dumpty.

One sweet lady came in and sensed we were in need. Rob had gone outside again and she asked me if I needed any help. I said no, we were all fine, that our van broke down but we were all safe and God is good! She said she knew God is good, but wanted to help so she pulled $1.85 out of her pocket and said "It's not much, but maybe it will help with the vending machines." Tears! I had showed her all my quarters for the vending machines and told her we didn't need any money, but I could tell that she really wanted to help us, so I took her $1.85 with humility and thanked the Lord for the lessons He was teaching me.

One man came in with the most adorable tiny little black baby you ever did see. She had dimples to die for. He was by himself and struggling to give her the bottle of formula. I sat beside him and talked to him about babies and formula and such. Then he told me he and his wife were in the process to adopt this little baby girl and the process was almost complete. Grins. Only God would orchestrate that. I found out they had been trying to adopt from India for years, and then one day this little baby showed up at a local hospital and they knew she was meant to be theirs. He had just lost his job as a pilot and they were living on his wife's teacher salary. I said I would pray for him and his sweet baby girl. Her name was Lela.


After dark (again, no idea on hours at this point) the kiddos are hungry, beyond tired, Colby's got 103 temperature, the little ones could not possibly watch another DVD, I had told my last made up fairy tale about a prince who needed a princess, we had exhausted all efforts of entertainment, even resorting to putting on a mini-dance recital and singing our renditions of Phantom of the Opera's "Think of Me"...when Tina, our new rest stop worker friend, offered to drive me to get pizza to bring back for our family. Pizza Hut wouldn't deliver to the rest area. Tina even let us use her pizza discount card to save us a little money.

On the way Tina told me how her dead beat husband treated her and her kids. She told me she wanted to raise her kids right, and she tried to pray with them and teach them about God, but her husband was against it. She told me to be thankful I had a husband who was a good man. I am so thankful, Lord. I prayed with Tina in the car. I prayed that God would open her husband's heart to Him. I prayed He would protect Tina, and bless her, and guide her as she seeks to raise her children in a godly way.

And I thanked God for all He was teaching me.

Christine, my fellow adoptive momma from Monroeville called me back, apologizing profusely for not calling sooner but her phone had been on vibrate, and the minute she heard what was going on there was no stopping her. She was determined she would come get us, all NINE of us, even a very sick one, and take us back to her house for the night. Christine has six children, all under the age of 13. Christine would cut her left arm off if you need it.

I have a hard time accepting help. It's a fault of mine. But this time, after 8 hours in a rest area, with no end in sight for car repairs, I did not resist. Rescue me, Christine! Come quick! ;)


After we ate our pizza, and after Rob squished a roach the size of Kansas on the very floor we were eating upon, in came Christine. We were bushed, and seeing her walk through those rest area doors was like coming to cold ice water on a hot Alabama summer day.

We couldn't get to our toothbrushes or clean clothes in the van because it was up in the air on jacks. When we first exited the van on the side of I-65, and we grabbed necessities, I had NO IDEA that we would need these things.

We piled into Christine's Suburban and had a very quiet drive (it was about 10 p.m. Tues. night) to her beautiful home. With my seven, Christine's six and they had one extra sleepover friend there was a total of 14 children spending the night at the "Hotel Fahy". We arrived to big down sleeping bags pulled back to crawl into, a big comfy bed for Rob and I to sleep in (with the covers turned down-ready for our exhausted bodies to crawl into) another bed turned down for Quan and Clay to share, nine brand new toothbrushes, White Swan soap (loved that!), and best of all a warm home full of Christ's loving arms to embrace our weary souls. Christine's husband Jeff prayed the sweetest prayer over our family as they sent us off to bed. We are eternally grateful to the Fahy family.


The next morning we woke up to the smells of cinnamon coffee cake and excited giggles from the Fahy children at all their spend the night company! I walked downstairs to coffee brewed and Christine working in the kitchen in her apron. I finally have a friend who wears an apron! Christine was a little shocked that I don't use aprons. Then I told her I don't cook. She loves to cook. Rob is happy Christine is my friend.

Rob, Christine and I sat in their lovely sunroom drinking coffee and talking (Jeff was already working hard in the O.R....we missed you Jeff!) We couldn't believe there were 14 children in the house and we were enjoying peace and quiet. What a blessing! We ate a delicious breakfast and then Christine drove us to meet our new mechanic friends Jeff and Steve because the van was ALL FIXED! Hallelujah!

On the way to get the van, we were thanking Christine over and over for her hospitality and ministry to our family. She, of course, acted like it was nothing. She mentioned that when she fell into bed last night she looked at Jeff and said "Happy Anniversary, honey!" Oh. my. Christine, you've got to be kidding...it was her wedding anniversary and she was busy rescuing our family and housing 14 kids. Oh Lord, I prayed, of all that the Fahys have done for us, we may never be able to repay them, but Lord, double those blessings back to them!

I'm so thankful for what the Lord is teaching me about being a servant!

When we got to the gas station to get the van, I was car sick. I'm high maintenance that way. I held it together. That is, until we said our goodbyes and thank yous and big hugs to Christine. Then I lost it in the yard of an antique shop. I took two Dramamine and said "call me in the morning."

We got water bottles and some snacks at the gas station. There was a sign on the door that said
"Before you come in, pull your pants UP!"

If only I were making this up.

We got on the road and the Dramamine kicked in and I was out like a light.

UNTIL.

I felt the van slowing down. Rob must be getting off at an exit.

NOPE.

This time I looked at him as he's pulling off to the side of the interstate and he says "Guess what? The adventure is not over!"

'Kay.

We were almost to Greenville. Still in "No mans land" but a little closer to civilization. The van would only go 20 mph. We rode 20 mph in the emergency lane until we got to the Greenville exit. As we tried to go up the exit ramp, the "Humpty Dumpty" decided it most definitely would not do that. It slowed to about 3 mph. We were determined. Rob kept trying. I was scooting forward and backward in my seat trying to give it momentum. (That didn't work, by the way.)
We made it to the red light at the intersection. Whew!

Yet, when the light turned green, would the van go? There was only one way to find out. Press the gas as soon as the light turns green.

Green light, press gas, and it sputters, rolls, sputters, rolls out into the middle of the intersection and stops. The light turned yellow. We can't move. The light turned red. We're stuck. In the middle of an intersection.

Everyone started shouting and praying "PLEASE GOD PLEASE GOD PLEASE GOD PLEASE GOD PLEASE GOD PLEASE GOD"

Rob tried the gas one more time. It sputtered, sputtered, sputtered, and began to creep ever so slowly across the intersection. He turned the wheel to the left and we coasted onto the overpass and stopped. There was no emergency lane available. Cars begin to line up behind us and veer around us. I look to my right and there is the guard rail and down below I see all the cars under us going down the interstate. Wow. We continue to pray, pleading with God to help us.

Rob shuts the car off, tells me to get behind the wheel because he's going to push us over the bridge to the other side where there is an emergency lane. Uh...I don't think so! But keep in mind I'm on Dramamine and I'm overwhelmed so I concede. He tells me to count to three and let off the brake. I did. Nothing happened. He proceeds to tell me he just needs to get the momentum going and let's try it again. Right about now I'm thinking I need to try my trick of sliding back and forth in my seat to help the momentum but since I'm concentrating on letting off the brake, and it didn't work the last time I tried that, I decide not to do it. One. Two. Three.

Nothing.

"Rob, get back in the car. This is not working. The van is going to roll back on top of you."

Defeated, Rob gets in the passenger seat and we just sit there on the overpass. Silence. Praying.

I started the engine and it cranked. I put it in "drive" and pressed the gas. Do you know what that sucker did? It drove across the bridge lickety split like it didn't have a thing wrong with it. We all started laughing like crazy. Thank you God!

Right about the time we pulled into a gas station, the van began sputtering again. An attendant told us of a good mechanic "right down the road" and so we chanced it and sputtered and rolled "right down the road" going ever so slow until we found...

"Bob and Wayne"

Our two NEW mechanic friends.

If only I were making this up.

Bob and Wayne are two more honest mechanics who inform us that the brand new fuel pump we had installed just last night was broken and we needed yet ANOTHER fuel pump.


'Kay.

We called our old friend Steve the mechanic back in Evergreen who was very gracious about everything, offering to make it all good, even talking to Bob and Wayne about what all he did to our van. Bob and Wayne get a new fuel pump, siphon all the gas out (we had just filled up again, by the way-grins.) and four hours later we are back in business.

Oh but so much happened in that four hours of waiting in the little car repair waiting room that was the size of my bathroom and had four chairs in it and a million dusty auto-parts encyclopedias. We met Wayne's wife who takes care of the office and told us all about her grandchildren who she spoils profusely. We saw her take countless people's money for the car repairs and so delicately place the cash in the cigar box in the top drawer of the desk. We heard her make phone call after phone call to people whose cars were ready to be picked up, and to each person she asked how their family was doing or she offered to bring them the car herself. When someone would call for Bob or Wayne she would slide her window open and holler "BOB! WAYNE! PHONE'S FOR YOU!"

Eventually she DID leave the office to bring a client her car. While she was gone she left the office to be looked after by another waiting client like us. Only he was a local and she knew him and his momma and daddy and he was a good ol' boy. I can't remember his name (because by the way, Dramamine makes ya drowsy) but he has four kids and he said there ain't no way his kids would sit in that waiting room like mine were.

Little did he know that waiting four hours is a walk in the park compared to eight hours in a rest area.

I had found a stray bag of Bud's Best Cookies so I took the kiddos outside (because you can't have food and drink in that waiting room, and besides, there were only four chairs) and we ate cookies by the train track. I wanted to sit out there until the train came by but it was hot. HOT. And everyone was restless. And Colby's fever had crept back up and he was feeling pretty awful. So we went back in the little waiting room and Colby laid down on two chairs. That left two chairs for the other eight of us.



Then we heard the train come by. Hello train. We can't see you because we're inside a microscopic waiting room, but we waited outside for you as long as we could...


Good ol' boy who is watching the office asked us what we were having done to our van. We told him we were getting a new fuel pump to which he replied "Oh yeah, those GMC fuel pumps go out so fast...have you ever had it replaced before?"

We answered, "Yes, just last night".

Bob and Wayne bumped our van up to be fixed first, before any other vehicles. Thank you God. At this point in the "34" hours, we have so much already to be thankful for. We have listed all the things numerous times that we are grateful for. The list is endless, for sure!

6:00 p.m. Wednesday: The van is fixed! Thank you Lord! We drove back south to meet Steve mechanic friend and he refunded us the amount he paid for the fuel pump which was substantial and we are SO thankful for this. Steve and Jeff, like Bob and Wayne are honest, hard-working mechanics. And they are gifts from God. I love you Steve, Jeff, Bob, Wayne. I love you a lot.

8:00 p.m. Wednesday: Alabaster exit. So close to home we can smell it. We stopped at Chick-Fil-A drive-thru for a quick bite to eat (at this point I don't even remember when, where, or even if we ate lunch) We decided to save time and eat in the car. Upon entering back on the interstate, the old familiar "I'm slowing down and there's nothing you can do about it" happened again.

This time, Rob calmly pulled the car over to the emergency lane like an old pro. No biggie. No one said a word. We just sat in the emergency lane and ate our Chick-Fil-A. We figured we might as well enjoy dinner. We laughed at the irony, and we laughed at the fact that we didn't care that we were eating dinner in an emergency lane. And we laughed that Rob wasn't even calling anyone this time. We just sat there. And ate. I love you Chick-Fil-A. I love you a lot.

Presently, Rob tried cranking the engine and it obeyed. He pressed the gas, and it sputtered, but obeyed. We even got to go up to 50 mph this time. We drove the rest of the way home like that. Thankful to be so close. Thankful we knew we had lots of family and friends who would rescue us if we needed them to, just like Christine did. Thankful the van made it to Springville, made it to our neighborhood, and then the van decided it would spite us one more time by sputtering in the neighborhood, stalling, sputtering. We told the van (because it has a brain and can hear and understand us) to go ahead and break down. Break down for all we care! We can walk home now! (People, it's been a long 34 hours. Forgive us for being mean to our van. We haven't showered in two days, we've been in the same clothes, and we smell like a mechanic's shop and our feet are black because of course we all have on flip-flops since we've come from the beach seemingly six months ago.)

The van made it up our neighborhood hill and then we coasted down and hopped out of the van just in time for it to slide into our neighborhood lake and then we had a party and shouted hallelujah as we watched it sink into oblivion, never to give us trouble again.

Okay, I'm just kidding about the lake part. The van coasted down the hill, gaining enough speed to make it up our driveway and come to rest in it's normal spot. I think it even breathed a sigh of relief with us when we stepped out.

9:30--Wednesday night. Home never felt so good.

So, to re-cap: In 34 hours we went from this:
to this:

And though we may not look so happy 34 hours later, rest assured we are praising God BIG TIME for all He has done...His grace is abundant. Of all the things we learned, the big thing is that His grace is sufficient to supply all our needs! And, as my 15 yr. old nephew Ryan put it so eloquently..."Well, you sure did get to meet lots of new people!"
Yes, Ryan. We sure did! ;)

34 comments:

living4him5 said...

Ok, that should have been an episode of some kind of sitcom!
My goodness!

I have to say, I love how you all were praising HIM through all the ups and downs and it brought me to tears to hear how you were witnessing and praying to and for complete strangers. Lives were touched and changed because of a big daddy van that didn't want to go!

So happy you're all safe and sound!

LOVE YOU!
Amy

Aaron and Erica said...

Oh my sweet Laine...never, never, never have I laughed and cried so hard. I was just about to turn off my computer and I thought I would check in on your blog and see if you were back from the beach yet. Now I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight! Thank you Lord for protecting this sweet family!!! I'm so glad you finally made it home and I'm so glad you recorded this adventure for us all here.

Love you,

Erica

Desiree' said...

Oh my word, what a trip. (to put it mildly) I got to the end and actually believed you about the lake!! We have driven on that stretch of AL road and God was in the details for you to have run into so many great people....
So glad you are home safe and sound... And I guess I won't look into buying a big daddy van LOL

Stefanie said...

Praise God you are now HOME... and what a reminder of all we have to be grateful for :)
Your sense of humor is priceless, Laine! I have to say, I wouldn't have been nearly so sweet had I been the mama on that trip ;)

Trace Car Driver said...

ok, so i was just stopping by your blog "real quick" to see if there was any news on the next blessing. obviously i had NO IDEA what i was getting myself into. WOW. what else can i say?

love the fact that #1) you blogged about all this so you wouldn't forget it. seems like noone involved will EVER forget it! #2) you prayed with so many strangers when i'm sure i would have been complaining #3) you found humor in many not so many humerous situations!

i hate ya'll went thru such a crazy mess trying to get home from the lovely beach, but i loved reading about it! :) praise god you are home safe and sound!

Steve and Jan said...

Whew! I was exhausted just reading about it. I can only imagine how exhausted you all were.

I, too, am glad you wrote about it so you won't forget any details of that adventure. That will be one story you'll be telling your grandchildren when your 80 years old, sitting in your rocker on the front porch :-)

Glad you are safely home!

Love,
Jan

Mike and Barb said...

I can only think ONE thing : "I laughed, I cried, it moved me, God!" - I don't know if you know this line from a Veggie tales movie, but it pretty much sums up my feelings.
Painful, hilariously written, and oh-my-gosh-I-wish-I-lived-closer to help!
YOu know what's funny? I looked at the pictures of your wonderful host and thought "I KNOW these faces" - of course I read their blog when they were in China!
Your last paragraph about the lake had me in serious trouble. My back is currently about to kill me, and laughing so hard about it was almost too much. I need Ibuprofen now - oh right, I already took some.
Love you, my friend. Enjoy your rest at HOME!
Barb

Mike and Barb said...

Oh, and I think I'm going to read this to my kids as bedtime story tonight. This is GOOD!
Barb

The Ferrill's said...

Mom the way you wrote that story is HILARIOUS, wish we really could put
"HUMPTY DUMPTY" in the lake. Our 96 suburban ran better than that. "I should have hit the sack in the car, and get a date with a beautiful pillow." (A line from Hank the Cowdog.)

your faithful son,
Colby

Sherri said...

Hahahaha! You need to make sure you keep this story in a safe place because ONE DAY you will really be able to laugh about it.

The moral of the story is: when your friends ask you to stay a little longer at the beach, you should!

The Ferrill's said...

Mom, What a trip! I'm really glad that you put it into words, because I really didn't want to write about this in my journal. It would have taken up a million pages. I remember some parts of the trip that you forgot. When we were eating breakfast at the Fahy's house Mrs.Christine's son Harrison was talking on the phone to someone and said, "It's like when Jesus fed the 5,000."
Also, when we were on the interstate you said, "Oh, this piece of junk van. Wait, is it slowing down? Oh, sorry van!" HaHa like it could hear you.
I think that was one of the days where I have prayed the most.
Good times, Good times.
I love you mom,
Katie Lyn

MichelleQ said...

My comments are:

You had me believing that lake part only because after all that--If I had been you in your situation, I would have PURPOSELY sank the van myself! LOL

I so wish Brooke had been with you. Not to add yet one more child to your "excitement" but to see the precious black baby. She has a think for black people, children & babies in particular, right now.

I can, unfortunately, so relate to your car troubles. Don't know what else to say except that I certainly sympathize and hope you get everything figured out and fixed very soon.

Looks like you guys had big fun at the beach at least! I'm glad you are all home safe & sound.

And Tina is right! Be VERY thankful (and I know you are) that you have a husband who will pray for you and with you and loves the Lord. I'm glad you do not have to REALLY know what a blessing that is if you know what I mean.

Love ya,

Michelle

MichelleQ said...

oops, did I just type "think" instead of "thing"? Oh well, long day. You know what I meant!

Buffi said...

Ok...uh...WOW! What a wild 34 hours you had. It explains the reason you commented on my blog and called me Barb. :) I was SO CONFUSED when I got it!!! I didn't know if it was Barb leaving the comment on your blogger ID or what! It all makes sense now!! :) I just LOVE your attitude! Thanks for sharing that crazy time with us!!! You guys rock!! Do you have to get a new van? love ya,
Buffi

Mama Hen said...

Laine, I don't even know what to say. I will say that I KNOW I would not have held it together like you did. You are amazing, or rather, we have an amazing God, don't we?

Desiree' said...

Fotgot to mention that DH works for GM and deoending in the warrenty or how far it is out of warrenty he can contact the "people that be" to help ya'll out. Didn't want to post publicly being that they are in bankruptcy but I lost your email :(

amanda said...

I am glad the van didn't go into the lake because my phone would still be ringing! I don't know how you did it!

Nicole said...

Laine! I felt like I was taken on an AMAZING adventure! Just like watching TV...except... well... we don't have cable so it is how I REMEMBER cable TV to be! Well, not exactly but close!!! WOW!!! God is GOOD!
Love,
-Nicole

Mike and Barb said...

Okay, I just read your post to my kids at bedtime. It took them a while to warm up to it, but loved your humor, and especially the ending paragraph about the lake!! That was totally up their sarcastic alley!!
I even made Mike read it, and I hardly EVER do that!!
Love, Barb

mommy24treasures said...

oh my, I don't even know what to say, except thank you for sharing the joys found in a terrible situation.
Home sweet home, were the words ever any sweeter?
Love
C

Aimee said...

Laine!

Honey, I have never laughed so hard in all my life. Im still laughing that you just sat in the emergency lane eating your Chick Filet. That is hysterical.

God has a way of teaching us so many things..he knows when we will listen!!!

Im thankful for Christine and I am so thankful you got home safely!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

DeEtte said...

Laine,
my, my! What can I say? This is about the funniest thing I have read in a long time!! I have laughed out loud tonight so hard! Thanks for sharing and glad you made it home safely!!

Joscelyn said...

O my goodness!! What a trip!!
Glad to see ol' "Humpty Dumpty", I mean Big Daddy Van, made it home & I know all to well where you stayed for 8 hrs.
God teaches us things in the most unexpected ways sometimes. Thanks for sharing & glad ya'll are safe & sound @ home :)

Rebekah said...

Oh, my goodness, Laine. I can't even imagine. When stuff like that happens, I usually say, "This is part of the sanctification process. . . " I'm laughing but oh so serious at the same time! ;-)

Keisha said...

Glad that is over & you guys are HOME safe and sound!
Shew.. you make me worry about our trip on Sat...? lol!

Robyn said...

Hilarious!!! I am loving Kimmie's face in that last picture!! What an adventure the Ferrills had on a nice trip to the beach!! Next time you will listen to Shalita--ha!ha!!
I am so happy that you made it home and Praise God for that!!!
Thanks so much for bringing your non-sick kiddos to Maggie's party Saturday!!! I hope everybody is feeling much better!!
I wish I could have talked more and heard this straight from you cause it would have been so much better!! Not much better but funnier!!
Love ya'll!!!

Mama Hen said...

Okay, I've waited long enough? What's the big announment?

Tina said...

Oh my word. You described it all so perfectly! You and Rob sooo deserve parent of the year! I am so glad you all are home and safe...and I loved the part about the van sinking!!! hee hee

Anonymous said...

I havent laughed that hard in a long time!! This is PRICELESS!!!
So glad you all made it home!
Love you all.....
Beth Furr

The Princess's Mommy said...

Oh Laine! You need to send this to Readers Digest or something! I have been sitting here laughing so hard and Lily Mei keeps coming in to see what is wrong with me! LOL Bless your sweet heart...only you could use such an experience to witness to others. You are in one in a million!

I just love you Laine and your poor ol' broken down Big Daddy van!

Monica

Oatsvall Team said...

i really want one of those vans ....even w/ all the fun drama !!!!! hee hee ... my best friend Suzanne has one and she loves it ....

you are coming to TN and i just can't stand it !!!! hope Sunday gets here soon !!!!

Ladyblog said...

That has to be the most hilarious story I have ever heard. Of course, I'm sure it was less than funny at the time. You should write a book, you have an amazing ability to keep a reader's attention! Glad your family made it through such an ordeal.

Tanya H. said...

Laine,
I love every single one of your blogs and always look forward to opening the page. I have to say this one tops them all! I had to come back for a second time to read it all.

Thank you for living a life that glorifies God in the midst of these circumstances. "God is at work all around us." You were keeping your eyes open for that, and God blessed lots of folks in the process...but I sure hope you don't have to go through that day again! So glad you are all safe and home!!

Ohilda said...

I've been MIA and have not had a chance to check my fav blogs. I assumed you'd take forever between posts...you've been busy girl! WOWZA, I got lots of catching up to do!

This post was unbelievable. You always amaze me with your grace.

By the way, I haven't read any other yet and now have 3 kids climbing all over me, but I saw something about a homestudy? ::big grin:: I have a little note with the name "Kevin" sitting on my monitor as a reminder to pray daily and often. I do. Can't wait to get back here and catch up!

Love ya!!

Ohilda