Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Home Church

First I would like to say THANK YOU for your sweet comments about our "sanctification process" as Rebekah commented (loved that!) or our "should have stayed at the beach longer" experience as Sherri commented. Yall had me cracking up with some of your comments!

As you read in the long long story, Colby had a fever. We are such a sharing family, have I mentioned that? Sunday we stayed home from church with four out of seven under the weather. It really worked out to be a blessing as we had some great quality time on Father's Day with Rob.

On those rare occasions when we stay home from church, we have church at home. Inevitably, Colby is assigned to be the preacher. Various volunteers serve in the choir. And Rob and I sit in the audience as typical back-row baptists. ;)

I love going to church on Sunday mornings, don't get me wrong. Our church is like our family. We miss them when we're not there. However, church at home on Father's Day was indeed something I would not have wanted to miss. I think it deserves some documentation so I will never forget this season of creativity in my children.

All morning was spent "preparing" for the church service. I don't mean preparing our hearts, either. I mean setting up the podium, getting the sound system up and running, sorting out who was going to serve in the choir, getting proper choir attire, and of course what Baptist church service is complete without good food? ;)

The preparations made me think of all those in our church who are behind-the-scenes getting things ready. Those who go unnoticed, but whose work causes a worship service to run smooth with little to no distractions or pauses. Thank you to all who help prepare for a worship service!

When everyone was ready we gathered in our "church" (living room) and sang a few worship songs with the "choir" leading us in worship.


I'm wondering if you've ever seen such choir robes in any Baptist church recently? Gary Morgan, you don't read my blog, but if you need ideas for spicing up our church choir, my children are willing to share.

Next Pastor Colby shared the message he had prepared from Genesis 22. He tied in Abraham's gift of having a son at such an old age with how we give gifts to our dads on Father's Day. He then went on to talk about sacrifice and how hard it must have been for both Abraham and Isaac, as father and son. I was so proud of his message! It was so appropriate for the day.

Pastor Colby sometimes complains about always being the one to bring the message, but as you can see...he is a natural behind the pulpit. Ernie Willis, I know you don't read my blog, but as pastor of our church, feel free to wear your pajamas next Sunday.

Next Pastor Colby wrapped up his message beautifully and tied it all together with....
Bible Drills! ;) We all raced each other to look up the passages and everyone was rewarded with candy. Even the little ones participated and won a few times! Ernie Willis, candy in church is a sure-fire way to fill your pews. ;) I'm just sayin....

We closed with family prayer time (a.k.a. "wiggle and jiggle time for little ones") and all in all it was a glorious church service!


To God be the glory, great things He has done!

13 comments:

ethel said...

We missed you in OUR church on Sunday, but it sounds like you got a pretty powerful sermon in you jammies. Pastor Ernie, can we have a Sunday morning in our jammies, wouldn't that be a sight to behold, I bet we could scare satan!!! Love the choir robes, yes, I think Pastor Gary might want to order some of those for our choir, I could just see Robert Ferguson or Alan Naylor in one of those, not to mention how fabulous some of our women would look in them. Maybe your children should put on a fashion show, Our Ladies Enrichment might have some competition. I think the next time you decide to have church at home, you should invite the whole congregation to come participate. What a Blessing to have children who are so in the Word. Yes, I don't think anyone but Colby could have preached a sermon like that, maybe he could share his notes with Pastor Ernie. Don't take that wrong, Pastor Ernie, you are awesome, but hey why not let Colby stand in for you one Sunday and give you a break. Hope to see you next week. So glad you all got home safely. No one but the Ferrill Bunch could have survived that trip and still had such a positive attitude when you got home. Love you.

Mama Hen said...

What time is the service next Sunday? I want to be there!

Desiree' said...

If you ever start a church, count us in!! Sounds like an amazing day!!

Hoep the paperchase is going well, we've hit a snag but no worries, it will come together soon...

Aunt Pearl said...

Sounds like a perfect Father's Day! So glad everyone is recovering nicely from the "34" trip. Keep us posted on your events. Love, Laura

Trace Car Driver said...

hate to hear ya'll were sick but that does sound like a great church service! love the kids outfits... couldn't even tell that any of them were sick!

Buffi said...

You guys ROCK!!!! I love your family!

Dollar General said...

That sounds like so much fun! I wonder if Jason can pull off Quan's Sunday look - in his coat, socks, and shoes...no pants required - I think he should try it!!

Mike and Barb said...

Our kids LOVE home church, too! But - I need to take your ideas and let THEM do the preaching and singing - awesome!
Love that picture of all of you!
Barb

living4him5 said...

Can I come next week?? Love all the pictures of the kiddos dressed up!!!

I'm also glad you were able to relax!!

Love ya!

Keisha said...

Lanie.. what a Great idea! I'm going to try this some time! I bet Colby really gets into his sermon.. and he is a natural!

I know God had a Big ole smile on His face that day! ;)

mommy24treasures said...

ohhh I know it was such a wonderful service! What a grand idea!

Ladyblog said...

so cute!
I've been so out of the blog loop, but wanted to say hi and thanks for checking in on me from time to time. It looks like "Candie" is doing very well!
~Rebecca

southern cheesehead said...

Umm...Pastor Ernie just read that by the way, smarty pants! He's doing good for no tie July!