Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Summer lovin'


Paula Deen's My First Cookbook by Paula Deen: Book Covers

It's that time again! Now that activities have slowed down a bit, the kiddos are chomping at the bit to start their summer cooking! Monday, Katie Lyn tried the sausage quiche from this fabulous cookbook pictured above (in case the pic doesn't work, it's Paula Deen's kid's cookbook).
WOW...the quiche was out of this world. Probably had something to do with the half and half poured in it! YUMMY! Katie Lyn sliced up some strawberries and served steamed broccoli too. Delish!
Tuesday Colby made a family favorite of chicken crescents, green beans and carrots. BUT he tried a Paula Deen recipe for dessert....yogurt pops! So light and delish, as well!
We have to take a break the rest of the week from kiddo cooking because of the Miss Alabama pageant (pray for Kylie as the Lord leads you!), but Clay and Carlie will pick back up next Mon. and Tues. for their meal of choice! And yes, Kimmie, Quan, and Candace will all be assisting in mealtimes too, don't you worry!

Have I ever told you how much I love SUMMER???????? What do YOU love about summer? I'd love to know!

12 comments:

Mamma to 5 said...

What a great idea,hmmm maybe I should be asking my kids to help cook, or at least come up with ideas so they will eat!!

Donna said...

I love everything about summer. Everything is at a slower pace and the days are longer. I love going to the beach and cooking out. The best part is sitting outside on my new deck, on my new deck furniture and reading. I've waited 5 years for that project to be completed and we are so enjoying it.

Mama Hen said...

I love sitting out in my swing at dusk and watching the kids play. Just knowing we don't have to get and get in bed early is so nice. Just knowing we can sleep in a little later is nice. Come on over to my blog, I'm having a little summer giveaway right now.

Keisha said...

Yum... sounds Great! Thanks for the heads up on the cookbook.

What I love about summer... probably swimming, relaxing.. & eating WATERMELON WITH LOTS of SALT! lol
you asked!

BeachMomma said...

Oh those dishes sound SO yummy!! Maybe I need to start that trend @ my house since I won't be here for cooking supper 3 nights a week, hmmm ideas are forming.

Ok, summer is the GREATEST!! It is the season of outside, wet, sandy, fun (even if you are in school!). I can't wait to go do some of the fun things we are planning with the kids :-) [I am sad b/c we missed the beach this year], But we know it WILL be a great,blessed summer indeed!(anyhow)
~Jos~

DeEtte said...

Yummy!! Hannah has started helping in the kitchen..maybe I need to let her try a hand at a meal one night. Sadie - she likes to stir stuff. Anything really. And lick the spoons. :-)

I love that when I go to bed at night, there's a glimmer of hope that I might get to sleep in a little late the next morning since we don't have school. (glimmer of hope - it only happens rarely..the girls are such scheduled creatures..they don't understand "sleep late"!)

I love that after supper all the neighbor kids are outside playing and my neighborhood seems to develop a sense of community as everyone talks to each other again after the "winter of silence and spring of busyness".

Seriously..I love that I'M OFF!!

Buffi said...

Sophie got this cookbook for christmas. It's a GREAT one!! There are some really good recipes in there. But you know, what Paula Dean recipe isn't good?!?! :) Hope yall are having fun!! Love ya!

Dollar General said...

I love sleeping in!! Ahhh...

Aunt Pearl said...

I love that we're at the beach - RIGHT NOW! Happy Summer!

living4him5 said...

What a fabulous idea!!! I love it!!

Sounds yummy!

Love ya!

MichelleQ said...

Zamora and Donna's house! LOL and reading---LOTS AND LOTS OF READING!!

And then there's always planning for the Fall because it will be here before I know it!

Tina said...

I am so excited..can you believe I found this cookbook at the thrift store for a $1.50. If I had not read your post I wouldn't have bought it..I am excited about trying some of these recipes w/ the kiddos!