Thursday, August 6, 2009

Flotation devices no mo

On May 17, 2009, Candie got into a pool for the first time in all her 8 years. She wore floaties and was VERY unstable...it took her awhile to find her balance and realize she wasn't going to sink. The next few times in a pool she got more and more confidence and soon was swimming all around with her floaties on.






In August Candie wore this contraption because we went to the lake and I wasn't sure I could depend on floaties to keep my girl afloat. And going under in a lake...well...scary! Talk about not being able to see the bottom! I love this coast guard approved flotation device. I bought Quan one too. (love those end of season clearances, don't you?) They are AWESOME and I HIGHLY recommend them! (Kimmie still wears her ring from last summer.)

Today, August 6th, I noticed Candie swimming in the pool in her floaties, confident as ever. In fact, she was moving her arms and legs so perfectly, I got the crazy notion that maybe she could swim WITHOUT floaties...gasp!

I got in the pool (that in itself is amazing, if you know me) and took her floaties off. I motioned for her to swim out (I had to use gestures b/c she can't wear her hearing aid in the pool, for obvious reasons). I gave her a shove and yall...SHE SWAM! And swam and swam! I forgot how much fun it is to see a child learn to swim! (I did not have my camera...of course.)

Then, Quan had to try of course. Picture a wild, crazy helicopter crashing into a pool. Now you've got a great idea of what Quan looked like trying to swim!

Then, Kimmie had to try of course. Picture a 32 pound brick box being dropped into a pool. Now you've got a great idea of what Kimmie looked like trying to sink...I mean swim! ;)

Just another stellar day at the neighborhood pool!

Thank you for your prayers today....I have felt so covered!

13 comments:

Joscelyn said...

Oh Laine Daniel has that floatation device & he loves it. We don't have it here (no pool or anything) but up at the lake, or the beach, we use it.

You are right..I love to try to teach my children to swim & I love their enthusiasm to try to learn (um we are still working on it).

Praying for your family during this time.
Jos

Cindy Jones said...

Way to go Candie!!! Mark has also learned to swim this summer and he was so excited. I love watching them learn.

We will be praying for you and your family during this time.

DeEtte said...

Yeah Candie!! Hannah has learned to swim this summer, and yes..it's fun to watch! The first time she jumped in with no flotation device and popped back up and swam to the edge of the pool - she started screaming LOUDLY "mom! It's a miracle! It's a miracle!!" :-)

I'm praying for your family!

Mama Hen said...

You are so brave. I have a hard time taking my four to the pool (and two of mine can swim pretty well). I just am constantly looking and watching to see who is drowning!

Leighboe said...

Way to go, Candie!!!! I'm so proud of you!!! Kimmie & Quan won't be far behind, I'm betting!

living4him5 said...

OK, where did you get those floatation devices??? It would be PERFECT for Linzhi...

I love that Candie can swim, what an awesome feeling for her (and you).

Still praying for Sweet Kevin!

Love ya!

Sam and Laurie Knowles said...

Way to go Candie, I am proud of you! <3 Miss Laurie

Aaron and Erica said...

YAY Candie!!!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh it is so exciting and scary when they learn to do this! Great job Candie!

Linda said...

The three little ones are SO cute! I love the length of Candie's hair - it gives her such a feminine look! What great strides she has made to swim.

I will be e-mailing you within the next few days. It was so good to hear from you, and I am praying and sending my love.

Keisha said...

:) Kimmie you so cute!!!

I love those.. never seen them before.
Faith took swimming lessons this year. Best $100 money can buy!!!

Still thinking & praying for you!! love ya!

Aimee said...

Great Job Candie!!! What a brave girl you are!!!

Praying for you Laine. Love you! Lets get together soon.

Mike and Barb said...

Wow, Candie looks all grown-up in this picture!!! What an accomplishment for your brave, little daughter!! Congratulations! Nina loves to swim too, and she has been catching on this summer as well. You're right, learning to swim ranks up there with learning to ride a bike and such!! It's such a proud moment for our kiddos!
Love ya!
Barb