Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Stop and Smell the Roses


When Rob whisked me away to a quaint B & B for our anniversary, I was reminded how important it is to "stop and smell the roses" in life. That does not come naturally to me. I hustle and bustle to get my work done, many times forgetting to pay attention to the blessings God sends me each day...whether it be Quan painting me a rainbow with browns and blacks, or a cloudless blue sky (a rarity these days in the southeast!), or the sweet smile of the lady at Dollar General. Or.... a peacock.


Yes, a peacock. A peacock shouted at me that I do not stop and smell the roses enough in life. How did the peacock shout? When I walked in this room of the B & B, I immediately spotted the delectable delights hiding under this cake plate:


Then I scanned the room looking at all the beautiful antiques. Rob joined me and as we stood by the fireplace, admiring the 1800's atmosphere. Then he said "...and of course that peacock is amazing." I'm thinking "what peacock?" Then I about jumped out of my skin as I notice it.


How could I have missed that? A peacock. A BIG peacock. If you look at the first picture, it's feathers are almost grazing that cake plate that I had no trouble noticing!
A person who stops and smells the roses would have probably noticed the peacock immediately. Not me...I don't know how my mind works...maybe food is my priority or something...but for the life of me I cannot figure out how I missed seeing this peacock. It's SO BIG! Later that night I thanked God for putting people in my life who encourage me to stop and smell the roses. And I prayed that God would help me see the BIG things staring me in the face, too!

"Open my eyes that I may see
wonderful things in your law." Psalm 119:18

14 comments:

familyof8 said...

A great reminder for me. Thanks for sharing. We are praying for you all. How is fall going for all of the Ferrill's? Ours is busy but fun. Lot's of soccer.

Any China news?

Blessings,
christine

smallseven said...

Laine, I'm so glad ya'll we're able to celebrate your anniversary in such a special way! I love me a bed and breakfast! Miss ya'll! Still praying for little Kevin!

living4him5 said...

What a neat getaway!!! I'm so happy you were able to relax with your hubby!

Love ya!

The Princess's Mommy said...

Don't feel bad...I would have went for the cake plate, too! LOL Hope you are having a wonderful week!

Love you,
Monica

The Blaszczynski Family said...

Ok, so I have just been reading your blog for probably the first time in several months (probably since you came home with Candace) and I am overjoyed for you guys and Kevin. What a precious boy! God shines through you guys, all of you, in such an amazing way! I loved reading about Candace's long and lengthy progress and would love to talk to you more about her BAHA and speech development. My docs are toying with doing BAHA's on some adult patients. Anyway, it's amazing to see you going through this hard process again, hard and incredibly rewarding. You've got to see Zoey, she is so amazing! I'm so happy to see and catch up on your wonderful life! Talk to you soon,
Love,
Amanda

southern cheesehead said...

roses? what roses?

Tammy said...

You're not the only God has been dealing with about "smelling the roses." I wrote something very similar last week.

Praying Kevin is in your arms soon!

Blessings,
Tammy

Aimee said...

Laine,
Spent some time tonight catching up on your blog...oh my...that video....I could just eat him up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you know I have a weakness for little boys...especially Chinese boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a precious child. I cannot wait to follow your journey.

Love you!

Rebekah said...

I can sooo relate. Wonderful reminder.

The Byrd's Nest said...

You know...I can really relate to this. Our home here in Costa Rica is surrounded by the most beautiful mountains. When I first got here I was in awe and have never lived around anything like this...now I hardly look up! May we all stop and smell the roses...what a wonderful weekend for both of you....you deserved every minute of it my friend.

Karin said...

I am cracking up that you noticed the cake first! :) We have to have priorities, dontcha know?! :)

(I would have noticed the cake first, too.)

Ashley said...

I would have missed it too :0 - there was interesting food!

happy anniversary!

mommy24treasures said...

what a great post. LOVE the verse.

Dollar General said...

THE Dollar General smiles at you all the time!