Saturday, November 21, 2009

Rockathon Part I

Friday morning I woke up and staggered to my recliner, very mad at myself for staying up so late the night before. But I couldn't stay mad long as soon as I realized....
IT'S ROCKATHON DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This event, the sponsors, the rockers, the New Day children and staff--all of it has been prayed over for months. So now that the day had arrived, we were ALL giddy with excitement!

The kiddos and I ate breakfast, donned our orphan shirts from Gwen, clipped nails, did a little school, and then we were off! We ran a couple of errands to collect some door prizes. At one store, there were some $5.00 items available at the registers. The book "Jesus Calling" was one of them. I had read on Gwen and Suzanne's blogs about this devotional, and so I was intrigued when I saw it. I flipped through it and opened right up to....guess what day....November 20th. Here is what it said:

"I am pleased with you my child. Allow yourself to become fully aware of My pleasure shining upon you. You don't have to perform well in order to receive My Love. In fact, a performance focus will pull you away from Me, toward some sort of Pharisaism. (just being honest, I struggle with wanting to perform well) This can be a subtle form of idolatry: worshiping your own good works. It can also be a source of deep discouragement when your works don't measure up to your expectations. (yep, it can) Shift your focus from your performance to My radiant Presence. The Light of My Love shines on you continually, regardless of your feelings or behavior. Your responsibility is to be receptive to this unconditional Love. Thankfulness and trust are your primary receptors. Thank Me for everything; trust in Me at all times. These simple disciplines will keep you open to My loving Presence."

Since I destroyed the book with my tears dripping on the page, I decided I better buy it!

Thank you Lord for that much needed reminder on this day of all days, that it is not about how many people come tonight, how much money is raised, or how smooth everything goes. It is about Your Presence.

From that moment on, I shifted my focus and rested in Him....

1 comment:

mabrynelson said...

I have that devotion book!! It is super amazing. And I have a pretty amazing story about it that I can tell you at Thanksgiving! I'm so proud of you, Ferrills! love you all and I can't wait to see you in less than a week!