Friday, April 2, 2010

Have I mentioned...

...how much we love our little man?

I know we've really talked a ton about doctor appointments and heart surgeries.

But have we talked much about KEVIN?
His personality? His likes? His dislikes? His adjustment? His attachment?

NO? Shame on us!

How could I not? We are SO in love! Kevin is delightful. He babbles, he jibber-jabbers, he repeats everything we say! He is using so much English, and he understands most of what we say. Truly, his language amazes us. We've been home four weeks today, and in some ways it feels like four months. He is one smart cookie. Just look at him below already doing 6th grade language. ;) Actually, he likes to sit next to Colby when Colby is doing his schoolwork and grab some of his books and a pencil and do "his school" too. And please check out which hand he is using to write...a leftie! It took eight chidren, but we got a leftie! HOORAY!




You may wonder if it aggravates Colby that Kevin is all up in his business. As you can see below, not much!



Kevin is taking to his siblings quite well these days! He tolerates them more and more and even is playful with them now...Tonight all eight children were marching the circle around our kitchen/den/dining room, chanting "binoculars" (the word we were trying to teach Candie--by the way, Candie is a whole 'nother post). And Kevin was delighted to march with all of them (and chant the word himself!)...his face was full of smiles and giggles, as if he was thinking "I really like this family!" He still has his moments when he's not in the mood to share, but he responds well (most of the time) to reprimands.
As you can see in the picture below, he and Quan are becoming a two-some! Tonight Quan said "Aw....Kevin....I really like my little brother, mom." (Insert mom's heart singing!)



Kevin has seemed to know from the very beginning who mama and baba are...and he continues to look to us as his favorite people, thank you Lord! He still sleeps in his crib, right next to my side of the bed. We love listening to him whisper while he reads his Clifford book. (Okay, sometimes he doesn't whisper. He LOVES to talk. Wow, does he EVER love to talk! I think sometimes he just likes to hear HIMSELF talk! :) He will point to my books on my bedside table and say "Mama book. Mama book. Mama book. Mama book. Mama book." Until I get myself a book and read a little while he reads his own book. He is so sweet! He really likes to be read to, and has liked that from day one. What a sweet blessing that is, because reading to my children is one of my FAVORITE things to do! I know they read to him at New Day...again, THANK YOU NEW DAY NANNIES!
Kevin asks about baba frequently during the day, and I will always say "Baba is at work. He'll be back!" He doesn't get upset, but seems to understand and then goes about his to-do list for the day, which includes playing cars, playing trains, hiding things in the plastic eggs we have out for Easter...you know, the usual two year old stuff! ;)
We are all head over heels...I mean REALLY IN LOVE with Kevin. I bet I hear "Awwwwww....." twenty times a day from the children, oohing and ahhing over how sweet and scrumptious he is! Even when he's being stubborn, he is so darn cute about it! I'm THIRTY NINE years old and I am WHIPPED over this little man! I just look at him sometimes and think "Wow, I get to be his MOM! Thank you Lord!"



The picture above was our first trip to church! (I'm sorry Colby and Clay look like they are miles away. I haven't perfected taking a pic with so many faces in it! What a GREAT problem to have, amen?) Kevin comes with me to help me teach my five year old Sunday School class! He loves sitting in the floor and playing with the toys with the other children, which is just Jacey Grace and Brooklyn! They are very sweet and patient with him. Last Sunday I kept Kimmie and Quan's class for extended session, so Kevin came with me. When we went to the puppet room to sing with the puppets, he immediately called out "Elmo's World!" See? I told yall he is one smart cookie! (He has one Elmo DVD and we watch it a lot...also Miss Patticake, oh how he LOVES Miss Patticake!)

He had his first haircut last week. Thankfully, Rob came to help out since EVERYONE got their haircut in one day. Wow, that was an undertaking! But God is so merciful; do you know it only took 3.5 hours to get 4 boy cuts, 4 girl cuts, and mom's hair foiled, cut & styled? That's really good, I think! We love our beauty salon! Thankfully, they tolerate us taking over for the afternoon!
Kevin was scared and a little weepy as he sat in Rob's lap while the stylist trimmed his hair. But he settled down and realized everything was gonna be just fine!

Kevin is a great eater. If his big brothers and sisters are eating it, then you better believe he's gonna eat it too! He really enjoys mealtimes, and he is learning to wait to eat until we ask the blessing. As soon as we sit down he will now say "Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen. Amen....Mama? Amen. Amen. Amen." Then as soon as the designated child is finished praying he says his final "amen" and commences to eating like there's no tomorrow! He loves pizza. He loves Trix cereal. He loves peanut butter sandwiches! He loves BBQ chips. If it's food, he loves it! But he's such a peanut...22 pounds, he is!

22 pounds of mischief, squeezes, grins, pluck and grit! (Roll Tide, by the way)

A 22 pound blessing, that's what he is!

Kevin will be having surgery to put in God's shunt (I call it that because I know God came up with it, right?) next Tuesday, April 6th. Because of his complicated heart issues, they will put him on bypass during the surgery. We are told we will be in the hospital at least 4 days. Kevin will be in ICU until he can tolerate being off the ventilator.

So please please please please please pray for our little man. All 22 pounds of him!

23 comments:

Ashley said...

Such a sweet post. It has always been very clear how fond you are of Kevin - your heart towards him is very clear and deeply touching :)/(I wish I could insert a little character jumping up and down!) WONDERFUL! WONDERFUL! WONDERFUL! he will have a shunt NEXT week!~ WOW!

This is a GRAND Friday! Praises!!! We will be praying - Ashley

Tina said...

He sounds so precious, I can't wait to meet him! You all will be in our family prayers next week! Have a great Easter!

living4him5 said...

Precious post, precious child...All of them!!

Happy Easter!!

Amy

Green, Party of Six said...

I knew from the beginning that sweet Kevin would be perfect for your family. I still go back and watch the video of him in China talking. He is precious and we ALL are inlove with him!
Please know that we are praying for you and sweet baby Kevin next week. It was one year next week that God gave us our miracle on Easter weekend. GOD IS GOOD!

Love you!
Connie

Linda said...

Just checked your blog and had to drop you a quick note. I am SO thankful that Kevin's heart can be operated on, and he will be in my prayers on Tuesday. He is one of those kids whose picture has made me fall in love. He has the cutest, naughtiest little eyes, and I would love to snatch him up and hug him. (I bet you get that a lot!) I'm glad to hear that he is melting into your family and all the brothers and sisters. That is a true blessing.

I wish you a joyous Resurrection Sunday. He is risen indeed!

Steve and Jan said...

Prayers will be with you!! It is so obvious though that God has everything under control....I know you are in good hands....His hands!!

Love to you all!!
Jan

The Princess's Mommy said...

Awwwww...what a sweet post! We just love the little man, too (even though we haven't met him yet!) You know we will be praying and praying next Tuesday. I hope you have a very blessed Easter with all those precious Ferrill kiddos!

Love you,
Monica

MichelleQ said...

will be standing in the gap! Thanks for the update!

Rebekah said...

What an incredible little boy! Of course, for an incredible family!

We are praying for him and all of you.

Amy said...

Praise God! Praise God! I just love hearing how well he is adjusting!! We will pray HARD on the 6th!!! Hatcher family-soon to be 6!!!!!!

DeEtte said...

What a sweet little boy!! Precious!! I will definately be praying for Kevin next week.
Have a wonderful Easter!!
DeEtte

Our Journey to China said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Our Journey to China said...

We are so excited to hear how Kevin is adjusting and I can't help thinking of him when I read Shawna's posts about Adrian. Two sweet angels!! We are so excited to see more pictures of your whole family together and know we miss you and pray for you! We will be in Birmingham on Monday having Emma evaluated by Dr. Blount and will be praying for you on Tuesday. Love and Blessings to you all!! Love the Boyd Family

Alycia said...

Laine, Rob and all!
Thank you for filling us in on how much you LOVE your littlest man! :)
We are thrilled for you!
We will be lifting him up while the doctors, (aided by the Great Physician Himself) put in "God's shunt". Praying for an "easier than originally thought" surgery and an amazing recovery!
We love you all!
Blessed Easter wishes to you!
Alycia, John and Sophia

smallseven said...

We're praying Laine! He is such a blessing, and he's SO blessed to have ya'll!

CK said...

Awww..I just LOVE this post. What a treasure little Kevin is! Praise the Lord for all the blessings. Thank you Jesus for Kevin's love for his mama, baba, and siblings!!
***Prayers for the 6th***

The Byrd's Nest said...

I will be praying for every sweet little inch of your sweet little man. Oh my goodness...God has blessed you my friend. I love how you chitter chatter's around the house and talks to himself...you MUST make more videos and post them. I'll bet I played that last one over and over and over again.

All of our prayers for his adjustment have been answered but we will continue to pray. I love you sweet friend.

Karen said...

What a beautiful post to a sweet little boy. Kevin and your family are in my prayers. I look forward to your post of how wonderful Kevin responded to the shunt surgery.

TanyaLea said...

Oh Laine~ I loved this post. EVERY single word of it!! I love hearing about your family and how Kevin is blossoming in it! He is SUCH a little charmer with those big eyes and full lips...scrumptious is right!!! :) You truly are so blessed to be his mama...and he is equally blessed to have you and Rob!

KNOW we will be praying for you all and Kevin as he goes in on Tuesday for "God's shunt"...LOVE that!

Praying you all had a blessed 1st Easter with Kevin!

Blessings and Hugs,
~Tanya

Mike and Barb said...

Yes, that's the Kevin update I wanted to read..... :-)) Ever since listening to his phone conversations in China I have been smitten with your little man! Well, it's probably hard to have so many siblings, because you don't get to be the only one talking... just kidding. The picture with his biggest brother is so sweeet!
I'll be praying for Kevin tomorrow. May it have a great outcome!!
Love, Barb

Mom to my China Posse said...

Love reading your update! Praying for you all, Kathy

Aaron and Erica said...

I love this update. I'm so happy to hear how great Kevin is doing. You will be on my heart and in my prayers all day tomorrow.

Big hugs from Huntsville...

Erica

Kristi said...

It is so wonderful to get to know a little more of sweet Kevin. I can still hear that little voice. We have friends getting ready to move from AL to England for three years and I'm trying to cook up a plan to get down to visit them before they go. And you know that if I'm in AL that I'll have to make a little side trip! Details to follow...