Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sunburn and watermelon rind

When I was in the 8th grade, I went on a beach trip with one of my friends and her family. This was before the "age of sunscreen", in the "age of baby oil", and I got thoroughly scorched. I came home on a Sunday, hurting something awful and red as a beet. By Monday I was sick with sun poisoning. I couldn't keep anything down, and my skin felt like it was on fire. I was miserable. My mom stayed home from work to take care of me. And when my Dad came home from work Monday afternoon, he came upstairs to my bedroom to see if I was better. When he saw how sickly I was, he didn't give me a lecture about how it's my own fault, etc, etc. He came over to my bed, leaned over and said "That mean ol' sunburn."

As I've been taking care of sweet Kevin with his "pericarditis" illness (a.k.a fluid around his heart) I have thought of those words from Dad often. I have even bent over Kevin in his crib and said "That mean ol' fluid." It makes him feel so very rotten. And I just want him to feel better. But I can't. And so all I can do is pray. I feel helpless, but I know that praying is POWERFUL. It is helpFUL, not helpLESS!

We had another echo at the cardiologist today. It showed virtually no signs of change in the amount of fluid around Kevin's heart. Praise the Lord it is not increasing! The fluid that is present seems to be "thickening", kind of like scar tissue. This can take months to resolve itself. What we DONT want to happen is for this fluid to thicken so much as to form a "rind" around Kevin's heart, restricting it from functioning properly. (Insert my honest reaction: that scares me.)

On the way home I thought about the doctor's words.

"Rind".

It's summer. We're gonna be getting lots of sun and eating watermelon, right? Will you remember little Kevin as you eat your watermelon, and pray for NO RIND? When you throw your watermelon rinds in your garbage cans outside, will you pray that the Lord will throw away any chance of a rind around Kevin's heart? God is able to dissolve even watermelon rind if He chooses!

And on the subject of rind, I'm praying the Lord will remove any "rind" around my heart. Areas in my life that I am not surrendering to Him completely. Throw away my rind, Lord Jesus, and let your sweet-smelling aroma spill out!

Can't you just smell that fresh watermelon?

Let's all pray for RIND FREE HEARTS!!!!!!!!! ;)

To GOD be the glory!

12 comments:

Mrs. Hindman said...

We are praying for Kevin everyday, and I love that we have a new way to remember to pray - as we eat our watermelon. I have a feeling this will make us eat a lot more watermelon!

I love prayer reminders. For the past few years, I have prayed for your family each time I comb through AK's hair after her bath. It started one day while I thought about you brushing through all your kids' hair after their baths, and it just stuck. You guys are loved!

Dollar General said...

Amen!

The Collier Bunch said...

God help us all remove the rind from our hearts and be open to your will for our lives. We pray you will heal Kevin and clear the fluid from around his heart.

living4him5 said...

Still praying for all of you and YES Ma'me we'll be praying for NO RIND when we're eating our watermelon!

Love ya!
Amy

Rebekah said...

Praying! Praying! Praying! No rind!

And I am taking note of the precious way your father showed mercy when he could have given a lecture. (That is something I am trying to work on. . .)

Our Journey to China said...

What a sweet remembrance with your father and a beautiful picture of your Heavenly Father's love for you! We are praying and will be reminded to pray even more as cut up sweet watermelon for Emma this summer (she loves watermelon!). In Jesus' name, please God remove any rind from around Kevin's heart and ours as well spiritually. :0) God is so good to give us daily reminders to help us see things in a way we can understand. :0)

Alycia said...

Indeed we will pray for NO RIND!!!
i just love that analogy, by the way.
We're still waiting to hear about TA... oh man, do i wish it had come today!
Thank you for your prayers and for your encouraging words. They have blessed my heart.
i'll let you know just as soon as we hear!
We love y'all!
Alycia and family

Sherri said...

Praying for Kevin.

Trace Car Driver said...

will def continue to pray... for kevin's heart as well as my own heart! thanks for the encouragement. love you laine!

Stefanie said...

Will do!! NO RIND for your sweet boy!!
BIG FAT HUGS to you, Laine :)

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh my sweet friend...we are PRAYING!!!!

What a great analogy.....you remain in the forefront of my mind...love you.

Kristi said...

Perfect visual. We eat a LOT of watermelon around here, and even when we don't have a watermelon in the house, my kiddos are asking for it, so "no rind" will be in my thoughts often.
Between the mustard seeds in my kitchen window and watermelon rinds I've got some wonderful reminders to keep your precious son lifted up in prayer constantly!