Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thursday Update

Lots of changes... so the bacteria in the fluid has been identified (it's staph). From what I understand there's quite a few different types of staph bacteria but the surgeon said we are fortunate that he has the sensitive kind (not the resistant kind) which will be treated with IV antibiotics for a week and then with Bactrim. He will have a PIC line installed tomorrow so they can administer the IV antibiotics. He will have to be sedated for this.

The other change is that he now has some pockets of fluid built up on his lungs. The surgeon didn't seem to be too concerned about this. However, they will keep a close eye on this and the potential fluid build up around his heart. Laine asked that we pray that Jesus' hands would be like a sponge and lay them on Kevin and soak up all the fluid that is building up in his body.

The other thing we have to do is wean him off the supplemental oxygen he's on. We need his O2 sats to stay up and the pressures in his lungs to go down.

All of these issues related to his heart and lung problems are currently complicated by the infection in his body. It's hard to say what's causing what at this point.

Thank you all for standing with us in prayer! We need you! Don't stop!

22 comments:

The Princess's Mommy said...

Bless it....we are praying and praying. Thank you for letting us know what to specifically pray for.

Love you guys!
Monica

mommy24treasures said...

We will not stop! Rest in our prayers. We are praying...

Kristi said...

Praying! Now that I know how to specifically pray for your darling I can go to bed ~ I've been watching all day for new news.
Love you guys!

Alycia said...

We'll be praying!
Give yourselves a hug from us.
Blessings!
Alycia and family

Becky Walk said...

We think about little Kevin all day long and we are constantly checking this blog for new updates so we do not drive ya'll crazy! Please know that our prayers are always with you all and remember we are here when needed!
Love to you all, Becky Walk

Our Journey to China said...

We love you all and we are standing in prayer with you!
Love, the Boyds

CK said...

Sponge prayers from the Knorr home!

Cindy Jones said...

We are praying!! Even the kids are saying special prayers for Kevin.

MichelleQ said...

My prayer posse and I will keep vigilant! Hang in there!

Kristi said...

Praying for Kevin.

DiJo said...

Oh Laine,
I am so sorry.... I have been MIA, and I am just reading your updates since you went back to the hospital... I am shutting down my computer now, and I am going to go pray for that precious child that God LOVES SO MUCH!!!!! Hang in there friend. You guys inspire me down to my pinkie toes!!!

Love,
Diana

Rebekah said...

Praying!

smallseven said...

I will not stop praying for little Kevin.
Father God, I ask that you lay your healing hands on precious Kevin, and that your hands would be like a sponge soaking up all that excess fluid that shouldn't be there. I pray that you would help him to breathe fully without the oxygen, and that the pressures in his lungs would go down. I pray that that Staph would be gone in Jesus name.
Persisting in prayer with ya'll!

MichelleQ said...

It's 2:49 a.m. Friday, May 7 and I just woke up with Kevin on my mind. I really hope and pray everything is okay...praying now for his healing and your continued strength, wisdom and comfort. I love you guys!

Sherri said...

We're praying here! Thankful that the staph isn't MRSA.

Mama Hen said...

Thank you for all the updates. I am praying. For little Kevin and for you two also!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh we will not cease in our prayers! We will remain on our knees!!!
Love you guys,
Kim

The Collier Bunch said...

You are all in our daily prayers. Thanks for keeing us up to date so we know specifically what to pray about. Hang in there God is walking every step with you.

Steve and Jan said...

Praying without ceasing....

Love you and wish I could do more to help you and your sweet family.

Jan

Rhonda Bryant said...

WE are praying all the time, and everywhere Brooklyn goes she tells everyone to "PRAY FOR KEVIN!" Praying God's hand would be that sponge and soak up every bit of fluid and rid his body of this infection. WE will not stop praying and please let us know if there is anything we can do or let Shalita know and she can get in touch with us! We love ya'll!!!!!
Brandon, Rhonda, Bailee, and Brooklyn

Heather said...

Praying now .. and will continue to stand in the gap

Mike and Barb said...

You should hear my kiddos praying for "Baby Kevin and his heart". It's sweet.
Hang in there, my friends. God has it all under control!
Many blessings, and much strength
Barb