Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday Snapshot-- The Law of the Harvest



Ni Hao Y'all


We are so blessed by our family and friends, our church family, our extended family. Sometimes I really wonder "How can they love us so much?" We are BIG, we are high-maintenance, we require LOTS of work to love us, we are late just about everywhere we go, our plethora of children can get quite LOUD. So I think to myself, "Would I love us if I were on the other side?" I hope I would! I know one thing, we certainly have plenty of precious friends and family who love on us so much, and they set such a perfect example of the love of God.

Unconditional.

I mentioned in a couple of "Sunday Snapshots" ago about one of these families, the Bush's. They are our "adoptive" family in China.

In all honesty, we have several families who have adopted us. Last night we spent some great fellowship with another one of these: the Watkins. Kylie is their biological daughter. ;) I call her that because she's our adopted daughter! Some of you may remember Kylie went to China with us when we adopted Kimmie and Quan. She was in that room when we met them for the first time, she videoed every moment, and now the bond we have with her and her family is more than strong--it is deeply rooted. In fact, when we had our family portraits made last month, Kylie was right smack dab in the middle of it!


Kylie's biological parents (I'm sorry, I'm getting the biggest kick out of that!) are Ann and Tom. They were such a Godsend when Kevin was so sick in April, May & June. They fed my children the majority of the time. And I don't mean they fed them just any ol' meals. We're talkin' homemade gourmet meals. They are the epitome of going above and beyond, going the extra mile. As a matter of fact, last summer when we hosted another friend from China, Tom came over and cooked the most amazing tilapia for us. Godsends, I tell ya!

Last night they invited us ALL over for a swim and a yummy meal of meatloaf sandwiches (OH MY GOODNESS....yall, they are AMAZING! Tom grills them on garlic bread....out of this world, insanely delicious), and homemade ice-cream afterwards. We were STUFFED.

We also were treated to a sort of harvest time in their garden! I call this a treat because we are not the "farmin'" kind over here at the Ferrill homestead. I have big dreams of a garden and chickens, but I know me. The reality is that I don't think I could hack it. Too much city in this farm-girl-wanna-be.



My kiddos, though? Oh my, they LOVED every minute of picking the fresh fruits and vegetables. It was the highlight of their evening. (Even though Ann was accused of using our children for cheap labor hee hee) They delighted in shelling peas, picking blueberries, peppers, squash, and tomatoes from their garden.


And I delighted in watching them flip flop through the meadow, free and happy!



Today in church the pastor mentioned the verses in Galatians 6:7-10
"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

In my Sunday Snapshot, I want to freeze-frame the memories I have of those who have been so good to us. There are SO MANY. And some of you reading this are in my snapshots in my heart--you pray for us, you hang in there with us through thick and thin, you provide encouragement, you shower us with love.

Oh God, may I reap this kind of harvest in the life of my family and the life of others around us. May I sow to please the Spirit, and do good to ALL--especially those who it is sometimes hard to do good to. Thank you for the village you have given us, O Lord. May we be found faithful as we walk in the footsteps of those who have shown us your love. We reap what we sow.


11 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

Oh, this is good.

So, so true - about reaping what we sow. Really makes me think twice. We, too, have been blessed beyond our capacity to understand by those who reach out & love us. I only hope that we can love other a sliver of what we've been shown.

And so funny about being a "wanna-be-farm-girl" - I have these big dreams - about 40 acres and a garden and some chickens - my own eggs! Oh my! And maybe even a big dog or two..Who am I kidding?!?!! I LOVE being a stone's throw from Target. And Starbucks.

Yes, my farm girl dream will have to wait ;)

Robyn said...

What a wonderful post! We have a "mini" garden, a few tomatoes and basil and two watermelon. Oh and some peppers. But it's small, and we wouldn't have it with out my country raised husband. I too dream of chickens, but like you I don't know if it is in my blood!

Kevin seems to be feeling well these days. I am so thankful. The Lord has truly blessed!


It will be on my mind this week: I reap what I sow. Lately, I've been so overwhelmed, I don't know what good seeds I have sown, but I want to be intentional this week, thanks for the toe stepping, er, I mean, reminder! :-)

Blessings!
Robyn

Our Journey to China said...

Thank you for this post! I want my heart, words and actions, to sow what God wants, not my own fleshly desires-Please, God, help me to not get in the way! Looks like an an awesome 'harvest time' - I missed my garden this year. :0)
Love and Hugs to you all!

The Princess's Mommy said...

Beautiful post. You are blessed to have such amazing friends.

Love ya,
Monica

zentmrs said...

Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing your friends with us!

The Byrd's Nest said...

OH my heavens....where to begin! The picture of all of your babies is oh so priceless my sweet friend.

Your church family takes care of you and love you because you are SO lovable!!! Your heart is the heart of Jesus and that makes everyone want to love on you and take care of you my friend.

One day...my friend....one day I want to meet you in person and hug your neck big!!!!!!!

Kristi said...

Thank you for the reminder to plant what is important in the Father's eyes. Sometimes this crazy busy life distracts so...

Love that you guys are so loved. Of course, it's not hard to see why!

Mama Hen said...

Beautiful post Laine.

Keisha said...

Lanie... YOU GOT MY CRYING! This is the sweetest post ever! It just oozes out with God's Goodness, Mercy, Kindness & His Compassion!!! I love IT! What a Blessing that your family is surrounded by Those kind of people that Truly are HIS "hands & feet"!!!
Course.. you and your precious family are so easy to love! Just after a min. with your fam.. I felt like we had known each other .. like.. 4-ever! lol!

The pictures of the kids are so good & the kids are growing up so fast!
Take care! Love & Hugs!

Just A Family said...

friend! I want to adopt you guys!

love,
robin

MichelleQ said...

I have really missed reading your blogs (a lot going on)! So glad to finally catch up with your wonderful family!