Saturday, August 7, 2010

Sunday Snapshot--Momma

Ni Hao Y'all


I cannot think of a better subject for this week's snapshot.

She's amazing. She's resilient. She's joyful.



She's a glass half full kind of gal.

She knows how to take care of younguns like nobody's business. She had a slew of them herself back in the day.


She has a servant's heart. She loves Jesus. She loves her husband, kids & step-kids, grandkids, her friends, she loves REALLY BIG.




She always chooses mercy and grace.

At the same time she shares her opinion unashamedly.



She does NOT get stuck in her ways. If anything, she seeks out adventure.



She hangs out with young people because she is young at heart.




She "gets" why we adopt children. She has always been our biggest cheerleader. (okay she might say we're crazy to my other sisters, but she's never said it to me! ;)



She is a beautiful 74 year old.

She is my mom!

I don't get to see her much these days. She's taking care of my step-dad, Bob, who is struggling with a lot of health issues. Mom is his caregiver 24/7, and she does it with such joy. She sets such a godly example for me in being the kind of wife who is there through sickness and in health.

In 1994/95, Mom was my Dad's caregiver in his last days. (A mean blood disease took his life at the young age of 60.) Mom was our rock. Steadfast. Constant. She is a very strong woman.

Ten years later she met Bob and they planned their wedding on the beach in 2004, my sisters and I couldn't have been happier! Hurricane Ivan ruined the beach wedding and in one week we planned mom's wedding at a bed & breakfast south of Atlanta, GA. It turned out to be the most beautiful wedding ever.



Now Bob is sick, and once again Mom is showing us what being a wife truly means.

One of my favorite stories that Mom tells is a perfect example of her perseverance. When my older sisters were young, my mom and dad only had one car. Dad needed it for school (I believe) and Mom really wanted to go to church. So she piled my sisters (I believe it was just 3 at the time) on her BICYCLE and rode them to church. Mom, and three little girls. She had one on the handle bars, one behind her, and one in front of her. (Mom if I am telling this story wrong, please correct me!) I can just picture that determined woman. Nothing was gonna stop her. (Of course today if this happened, they would all need helmets and there is probably some law about how many people you can have on a bicycle. But anyway.)


And that is how she is. She gets something in her head, and she does it. No matter what. I remember another story when it was my Dad's graduation (or some special occasion) and she wanted a new dress to wear. Being a young couple, they weren't rich in funds. So in true Scarlett O'Hara fashion, she took her curtains and made herself a dress. Just. Like. That.

That reminds me of another word that describes my mom. Resourceful. She made Katie Lyn's baby bedding out of a Battenburg Lace tablecloth. Amazing!

Mom was a band director at one time. She has a real heart for music, and is very gifted in playing lots of instruments, even in China! ;)




She will always have the nickname of "vicious" Granmart in China. She traveled with us to adopt Kimmie and Quan. What a blast! Having my mom along was such a blessing! When mom displayed a great kindness to our guide, he told her "You are very vicious!" She replied without batting an eye, "Yes, I am vicious!" And he said, "Oh no! I did not mean vicious! I meant GRACIOUS!" It was HILARIOUS! We laughed and laughed about that. And on our two subsequent trips to China, our guides still ask about "vicious Granmart"!



Mom, if I have HALF your energy and "go-get 'em" attitude when I am 74, I will be THRILLED! I love you!

And friends, please say a prayer for her and Bob...they're going through some hard transitions right now! I know she would appreciate your prayers. THANK YOU!

31 comments:

Steve and Jan said...

Your Mom sounds wonderful! I think you inherited a lot of her traits :-)

I am praying for her and Bob. He is so fortunate to have her by his side.

Love to you all!!!
Jan

Sherri said...

What a nice tribute to your mom.

Now I see where you get your joyful, glass half full outlook! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Laine!

Desiree' said...

Oh, what a sweet post, brought tears to my eyes!! You are truly blessed!

Kim said...

Your mom sounds like such a wonderful lady. What a beautiful post.

Carla said...

Beautiful post!

Carla said...

Beautiful post!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Wow. First of all your Mother IS beautiful and her heart sounds equally beautiful. I love a strong woman that can share her opinion while respecting others' and offering mercy & grace! I want some of that!!

And FIVE GIRLS!?!?!? Your mother is a hero - you are blessed to have her - as your father was and now Bob. What an amazing post about this "vicious" woman who means so much to you. I love her and I don't even know her ;)

Praying for the transition to provide healing & understanding. Lord knows she deserves it.

Daisy Dreams said...

What a blessing your mom is! And what a great gift she's giving everyone by staying by Bob's side. Praying for them...

Shalita said...

This may be one of my favorite posts EVER! I love your Momma! I am blessed to call her "my family" as well! She is INCREDIBLE! I love how in the midst of whatever is going on---SHE LOOKS GOOD---HAIR FIXED AND LIPSTICK ON!!

She truly is an inspiration with her head held high!

Gran Mart,

Thank you for being such a godly example for us!

I LOVE YOU!!!

Stefanie said...

She sounds positively INSPIRING! What a woman after God's heart :)
And what a blessed example for you and now for your children to follow. She is leaving quite a legacy!!
So sweet how your love for her just oozes out in this post... precious!!

Tina said...

What an awesome post Laine, I love it.

Rebekah said...

So wonderful to honor your mother. She sounds like an amazing lady!

Chris said...

Wow, your mom is amazing!!

I love her caring, loving, giving heart!!

Will be praying for both your mom & Bob!!

The Princess's Mommy said...

Love this post! How blessed you are to have such an amazing mother. I am praying and praying for her and Bob.

Love you sweet friend.
Monica

Dollar General said...

Are you the baby?!? You're mom is SUPER COOL!! Now I know where you get it from... LOVE YA!

zentmrs said...

How blessed you are to have such a beautiful mother. I think she is likewise blessed with her daughter. Thanks for sharing!

The Byrd's Nest said...

OH Laine....you know I will be be praying for your Mom and Bob. I agree with others in their comments....you sound just like your Mom:) Praying for strength for both of them and healing from our Father. Love you sweet friend.

Waitingfaithfully said...

What a beautiful mama, inside and out! Now I know one of the great big reasons you are so special Laine, 'cause you have one special mama! Thank you for sharing her with us!

Saying a prayer for Bob, and for your mama as she lovingly cares for him.

Blessings to all of you~

Love,

Tina

Our Journey to China said...

What a wonderful momma! I hear about her all the time from Jane. :) What a truly blessed family!

Keisha said...

How Sweeeeeeeeeet! You have an Amazing Mom Lanie! Sounds like she has been a great role model for many!
Prayers for you Step-dad. They look so happy & In love!

Mama Hen said...

What would we do without our mommas? What a sweet post and I agree with Shalita. She looks great!

living4him5 said...

Oh my goodness your mama is just precious!!!! I LOVE the picture of her on the bike.

Praying for Bob!!

Love ya!
Amy

CK said...

Prayers for Bob and incredible Gran Mart, what an amazing woman, wife, mother, friend, and grandmother!!

Leighboe said...

Tears are running down my face. Laine, what a beautiful post!!!

Kristi said...

Reading how wonderful your mom is explains a lot about who you are...

We'll be adding Bob to our nightly prayers here in the M house!

Kim said...

So glad to find the link from Ni Hao Yall.
What a beautiful tribute to your Mother!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

Kim said...

So glad to find the link from Ni Hao Yall.
What a beautiful tribute to your Mother!
Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
Kim

3 Peanuts said...

Your Mom sounds like such a gracious and God loving woman. What a fabulous role model!!!! I will offer up a prayer. My Mom also took care of my step dad who passed from Parkinson's and i know how tough that can be.

carolyn said...

I clicked from Ni Hao Y'all- what an amazing post. What an amazing mom!

Thanks for sharing her with us-

Hope you all feel the love from so many prayers for ALL of you.

Carolyn

Karin said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom! And what an amazing woman she must be. I wish I could meet her. :)

Alyson and Ford said...

What a beautiful story about your Mom; she is so loved. Thank you for sharing.

Alyzabeth's Mommy