Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sunday Snapshot---A Tale of Two Daughters


On August 14, 1996, my selfish little world was rocked in the best way ever....my first child was born! God gave us Katie Lyn to bring us back to Himself. I love how He uses little children to get into our hearts and woo us to Himself.
Her first year was filled with colic and crying, bless her baby heart. (believe me, the pic above was a rarity) As a first time momma I was completely clueless. I attempted everything to help her, including "BabyWise", which a good friend promptly told me to throw that book off my very high back deck. It turned out to be some of the best advice I've ever received.


As Katie Lyn grew, we realized, "Hey, we've got a little PERSON we're responsible for now. Wow. Like, she's watching our every move. Oh, she's IMITATING our every move. Time to CHANGE some bad habits, wake up out of our little world, and realize that there is something BIGGER to life than living for ourselves."

And so Rob and I both returned to our first love...Jesus. We re-dedicated our lives to the Lord and have not looked back.

And He continued to bless us with children.


And more children.


Nine days after Katie Lyn turned four years old, August 23, 2000....

Another little girl was born across the world. LePing, China. Her name was Le Xiao Hao.


She had deformed ears and her mother left her at the gate of an orphanage with a letter telling her birthdate and other things of the heart.



I can't help but wonder if the Lord used this little girl to bring her mother to Himself. I guess I will always wonder about that this side of Heaven.

She was found and raised by her foster mother for eight years.

While Katie Lyn was singing in choir programs, having countless parties, growing in the Lord, becoming a big sister, learning how to read and write and count....


...Le Xiao Hao was growing very slowly, enduring one ear surgery, no doubt being teased by some of her village peers, attending school but learning survival skills instead of educational lessons, and only celebrating one of her eight birthdays.



Two Girls.

Born four years and thousands of miles apart.

Living completely opposite lives.

Destined to be sisters.


Forever!


If I really sit and think about how HUGE this is, how HUGE God is...I can't hardly believe it! Only God can bring a family together like this. ONLY GOD. I praise Him for giving me my August girls....Katie Lyn (lovingly called KK by her little brothers and sisters) and Candie Lexiaohao. They have BOTH brought me to my knees before God in humility and worship.


They couldn't be any more different from each other, yet they accept each other with grace and mercy. THAT is what FAMILY is all about!

I love you girls....and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you BOTH!!!!!!!!!!


Ni Hao Y'all

For more Sunday Snapshots...be sure to visit Stefanie's blog by clinking on the pic above! :)

32 comments:

Sherri said...

Happy Birthday to both your August girls! They are both beautiful!

Kylie said...

Geez!!! As if I'm not missing y'all enough already! I am now crying my eyes out on a Saturday night while sitting in my dorm room. Thanks, Laine. ;) Happy birthday to KK and Candie!

Mike and Barb said...

What a wonderful tribute to two of your beautiful daughters!
And I just found another reason I liked you so much - you're a recovering "Baby wise" victim just like me *haha*
Blessings,
Barb

Kristi said...

Happy Birthday Katie Lyn and Candie! God sure knew what He was doing when he grafted these two beautiful girls (and six other siblings too I may add!) as sisters. Not to mention blessing them with the parents He gave them.

Oh, and I too read BabyWise (while we were waiting for Ky). I later used it to fix a lopsided table...

Annie said...

Beautiful post! I have two 4 year old girls born a world away. I hope they will be just as close as your gorgeous girls when they are older:)

Cindy Jones said...

what a beautiful story of two beautiful girls. Happy Birthday Girls!!!!

Mama Hen said...

Okay, this is too beautiful.

Terri said...

What a sweet post!
A big Happy Birthday to both your beautiful girls!

Our Journey to China said...

Only God.....He is so good! Katie Lyn "Happy Birthday again!" and sweet Candie, "Happy Birthday!!!". I just can't stop the tears from flowing, God is truly this good to bring you ALL together. And we thank Him for the awesome privilege to let us know you all and travel with you. We love you all very much!! Praise God!

Jennifer Taylor said...

Beautiful girls! We were talking at church this morning how amazing God is and how we are sometimes surprised that he created all of our families so perfect! We are truly blessed!

*A reunion after Christmas would be wonderful! We are willing to travel!!

Alycia said...

Happy Birthday Katie Lyn and Candie!
We are thankful to God for both if you! We home to see you soon!
Today, we celebrated Adahlyn's 5th birthday! August girls rock!
Love,
Alycia and family

Rebekah said...

Sweet girls!

Joscelyn said...

Happy birthday to both Katie Lyn & Candie :-)

zentmrs said...

Happy Birthday!! What a wonderful story - thanks for sharing!

Daisy Dreams said...

Happy Birthday to two beautiful sisters! There's really nothing like the love of a sister :)

Aaron and Erica said...

Happy Birthday KK and Candie!!! These Sunday Snapshots are killing me Laine...I guess I need to bring a box of tissues w/ me before I open your blog on Sunday's and Monday's :)

Love you friend...

Erica

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh I just love reading about God's goodness!!!!! Happy Birthday to both of your girls......how wonderful the way God wove their little lives together....what a special story my special friend...love you!!!!!!!!!!

Tina said...

You have such an awesome way of sharing your perspectives..I LOVE IT!! Happy birthday 2 your girls!!

Southern Cheesehead said...

and they're both so beautiful!!!! I'm so proud of both of them...I miss you guys so much!!!! Love you and can't wait for RR FINALLY this week!!!!

Jen said...

What lucky girls to have each other...and what lucky girls to have such a wonderful Mama...

Green, Party of Five said...

Happy Birthday KK and Candie. It was so great seeing them last weekend. What beautiful young ladies they both have become inside and out. Of course, they have a wonderful example--YOU!
Love you my friend and cant wait to see you again!
love
Connie

Ellie said...

I enjoyed reading your sweet post about your daughters - Happy Birthday to them both! God is so amazing how he destined these girls to be sisters! They are both beautiful!

Trace Car Driver said...

happy birthday pretty girls! wow..... so hard to believe how far god has brought your sweet family, including candie. HE IS SO GOOD!
btw- i love that even kk is wearing footed pj's at christmas! :o)

Mama Hen said...

Laine, you crack.me.up. You will have some jelly soon, don't worry!

No news yet. Frustrated, but also at peace. Sounds silly, but true. Hope I can update you soon either way.

Stefanie said...

LOVE this!! LOVE God!! He never ceases to AMAZE me.
And I LOVE that sweet picture of you, Laine... just staring at your new baby. You were born to be a mama :)

Nancy said...

What a lovely touching post. Isn't it all just AMAZING! How He works all things to His plan! Thank you for sharing.
Nancy

Shalita said...

Okay,I am all choked up! And anybody that knows me knows it takes a lot to make me cry, right Paula?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these two girls and this sweet post! Laine, you did an incredible job of celebrating Katie Lyn and Candie!

Happy Birthday Girls! I LOVE YOU!!!

Chris said...

What a lovely post!! Your 'birthday' girls are both amazing!!

I, too, often wonder how God will use my youngest two....as we pray for their first mommies....hoping they will come to know Him!! It is exciting just thinking about that possibility!!!

Thanks for sharing this 'tale'!!!

Keisha said...

What a Special post Lanie! God is BIG..isn't He?! How Awesome He is!
Thanks for sharing this.. as a reminder of just how Wonderful He is!!LOVE YOU Girl!
Happy Birthday to your 2 Beautiful Girls!!!!

Vicki said...

Beautiful Post!
Vicki
http://www.pomafamily.blogspot.com

TanyaLea said...

Okay, total heart string stretcher!!

LOVED this post, Laine... thank you for sharing your heart so openly. Your heart and love for your children and Jesus SHINE in your posts, and I am ALWAYS blessed when I come by to visit. Praying your girls have a wonderful year and that their birthdays are blessed! Love the 'tale of two sisters/daughters!'

Blessings and Hugs!
~Tanya

Just A Family said...

OH I loved this!!! I also enjoyed your homeschooling days:)

Sounds alot like mine.

love,
Robin