Thursday, November 4, 2010

Waffle Man

My kids know me on most Saturday mornings as "Pancake Man" but most other days my wife knows me as "Waffle Man". This is sadly because I'm so fickle. I looked up the definition of fickle and don't really like what I see. It's similar to words like impulsive, unpredictable, and inconsistent. These are not words I want to be associated with or remembered by.

Fickle doesn't seem like it can coexist with those of us who are supposed to live by faith. Unfortunately, it's those peaks and valleys of my walk with God that cause me to entertain steps of faith some days and question the concepts on other days. I went to a worship experience in Birmingham a few weeks ago called "The Awakening" that was incredible. I've never seen that many people come to Christ at one event. There were somewhere around 500 decisions that night. Some first-time and some re-dedications. It was incredible... I looked over in the aisles as streams of people flowed down past me and most had streams of tears flowing down their faces as well. The Holy Spirit was THICK in that place and I felt as if I could do anything for the Lord at that moment. I wanted to somehow rescue all 147 million orphans right then and there.

I called my wife who was out of town and told her I wanted to adopt at least 100 more kids - insert laugh here. We had recently been discussing whether or not the Lord might be calling us to do this again. So now it's two weeks later and I've had time for the mountain-top experience to fade into oblivion and we're having this discussion again. As usual, my wife got the message from God before I did (except for our first adoption). Anyway, we had really gotten into a heated discussion about common sense versus God's ways (which usually don't make sense). We were having a bit of a spat. She was mad with me and I was mad with her.

So I'm going about the rest of my day trying not to think about the whole thing and I came across two new songs that I had not heard before. One was by Chris Tomlin and it's called "I will Follow" and I will be first in line to purchase this once it's out. The other is a song by Greg Long (Avalon) and Kristy Starling called "Uncommon". Both of these songs were God speaking directly to my heart about the road he wants our family to travel. I know we're already uncommon, but check out these lyrics:

What if there's something bigger for me out there
Than the comfort of a life on this middle ground
I've played it safe but now I can't help but wonder
If maybe I've been missing out

'Cause I look around and see a sea of people
Everybody's moving in the same direction
And I think it's time for me to break away, break away

Chorus

I want to finally take the road less traveled
I want to run away from anything typical
I want the world to see the life I'm living
And call it uncommon

What if the right thing was harder than the wrong thing
But I did it anyway
Standing strong even when no one else was watching
What if I really lived that way

Every heart has its defining moment
This is mine and I'm not gonna miss it

I want to finally take the road less traveled
I want to run away from anything typical
I want the world to see the life I'm living
And call it uncommon

I don't care if it makes me look different
I'm never letting go of my conviction
Let the world see the life I'm living
And call it uncommon

I'm done with the easy way out
I'm done with the easy way out
Done with the easy way out
With the easy way out

What if I made it to the end of my days here
Only to find that my legacy was nowhere to be found
I don't want to waste another second
Give me the strength to start right now
Right now, right now, right now, right now, right now, right now

I take the road less traveled
I want to run away from anything typical
I want the world to see the life I'm living
And call it uncommon

I don't care if it makes me look different
I'm never letting go of my conviction
Let the world see the life I'm living
And call it uncommon

Uncommon
Call it uncommon
I'm done with the easy way out


Here's a link to the video...

Yes, I do realize our family has taken a road less traveled than most, but the Lord used this song and the Chris Tomlin song to speak directly to my heart and confirm to me that we were to adopt again. We have the room in our house and in our van, we know God will provide if He calls us to it. It's like a quote I posted on Twitter a few days back from Hudson Taylor (missionary to China)... "God's work, done in God's way, will never lack God's supplies".

I have often held to the premise that I needed to fast and spend countless hours in prayer and be as pure as possible to hear from God about such big decisions in life. Well, none of that premise held true yesterday. After hearing those songs, I knew what He wanted. Then, just to make sure I didn't waffle... He had this email waiting on me in my inbox when I got home from work. The subject line said "God's plan for the Orphan". The first sentence said this... and I'm not exaggerating the size of the font (matter of fact, here's a screen shot - click to enlarge):


Anybody want to doubt God on this one? I don't want to hear about it if you do.

I don't want to stand before God one day and explain that I did not obey His commands and follow His path because it might be frowned upon or uncommon or cause me a little grief. Wow, I don't even have a clue as to what grief looks like compared to persecuted believers around the world. Not to mention the grief that my Savior endured so I could be adopted into His family and live with Him one day. Every single one of these orphans deserves a chance to live in a home where someone will love them and share the "Good News" with them. Did you know that there are really about 40-50 million adoptable orphans in the world? That means that we could provide a home for ALL OF THEM if only 6% of born again believers would bring one home. Here's my source...

I'm often times fearful of "what will people think when they hear this crazy family is adopting again". I'm learning slowly but surely to fear God and not man! I'll leave you with a verse that is helping me with this... Galations 1:10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

Lastly, this short video really explains our hearts well in regards to orphans and adoption!

Love you guys!

16 comments:

mamamargie said...

We only have five adopted kids and have felt the call to adopt again. We actually had someone tell us that she wanted to do more with her life than just take care of kids and wanted to know what was wrong with my husband and me.

Thanks for the encouraging post!

Steve and Jan said...

Gives me chill bumps!! I will be praying for you guys!

I miss you all so much!

Love ya,
Jan

The Byrd's Nest said...

I love it when you write on the blog:) I will be praying for you and Laine's decision also. I would love to adopt again...my husband...not so much:) I know that if it is God's plan....He will speak to Greg's heart.

Sounds like a wonderful revival you attended. I pray for your family each day!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh.....and my Emma Jane is a SERIOUS pancake eater!!!!! lol

TanyaLea said...

Wow, Rob... I love it when you post! (I love it when Laine posts, too!!) ;)

This was so encouraging, it should come with a 'flashing' font or something! Seriously, I am so tired of living the 'status quo' lifestyle. It's not how God designed us to be as Christians. To say that our first adoption experience has changed my views on life, would be an understatement. I know adopting Khloe was just a 'stepping stone' that God led us down for us to see the brighter lit path ahead. We are not there yet, but I SO want to be heading down that road again... Khloe needs a playmate!! ;) My heart's burdens have definitely changed through our own experience, and following along on your's and so many others journeys, as well. It's clear where God's heart is for the orphans, and I want to be sure our life and visions are in line with His. I will be having my hubby read this post at some point. He has never said 'no' to going back, and I trust He would if God was clearing the path again. But right now, we are still paying off our trip to Khloe, and will be until after our tax return. Yet, the longing to go back is strong already, so I am praying God will help us secure our finances and get to that place where we could go back as He leads.

Thanks for being such a leader and for posting about your heart here. I think it will be a help to many. You will be in our thoughts and prayers as you embark on this next exciting journey to grow your beautiful, God-created family, yet again! LOVE it!!!

Blessings,
~ Tanya

Bfurr1126 said...

Thank you for the post Rob! We are praying for you all during this decision, adoption and homecoming of another sweet Ferrill child!
We love you guys!
Beth, Parrish and boys :)

Jodi said...

Awesome!! God isn't finished with us yet! Thanks for your honesty!

Kristi said...

"I'm often times fearful of "what will people think when they hear this crazy family is adopting again"." Oh how we relate with that thought Rob!
But like you, in the end we decided that we were more afraid of the disappointment in God's eyes when we meet Him one day when He reveals what we missed if only we had heeded the call.
So we turn our backs on 'worldly wisdom' and start scraping pennies to bring home 'One more.'
Welcome back to the paper chase. Praying our roads will again cross in GZ...
Love your entire family, even kiddo number NINE!

Aaron and Erica said...

Beautiful post Rob! It makes me want to say "Amen"!! I was hoping though, that you might just wait a little longer to adopt again so that we could go with you! Just kidding...don't wait for us :) Looking forward to seeing you guys this weekend!!!

Erica

Rebekah said...

So wonderful! Praise the Lord for your obedience!

I like that song, too! ("Uncommon")

The Collier Bunch said...

We truly understand where you are on this. Robin and I have been wondering if our family is complete and feel that God is not done with us yet. We have 6 kids and 2 of them are about ready to fly out of the nest. Waiting to see what God has in store for your family and for ours.

It blesses our hearts to see God growing families through adoption. Praying with you as you seek God's will for your family.

Ladyblog said...

Great post! I'm very excited to see what the future holds for your family.

Southern Cheesehead said...

Sometimes it doesn't even take the questions from others...sometimes the enemy likes to use my own mind to doubt. *sigh* I'm trying to take every thought captive!! The video is incredible at the end...wow!

So now we have a chicken man and a waffle man? :-)

Mike and Barb said...

Yeah for the Ferrills!!!
Barb

Ian said...

Awesome Rob....
Thank you for sharing your heart and putting it out there. God speaks in amazing ways! We'll continue to pray for you all as you work to bring home your child. It is a great encouragement to me to watch as you all follow where God is leading.

Our Journey to China said...

With tears rolling down my face I just want to say, "Thank you sweet Jesus for the love you share through this family!"