Friday, May 6, 2011

GOOD THINGS

Last week I posted a verse from Lamentations 3
vs. 38 "Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?"

It was a week of calamity with the devastating tornadoes that ripped up our state, ripping up lives in its path.

And it was a week of good things, too.

And now, by God's mercy, I can share those good things. ;)



All along this adoption process, we knew we should get approved to adopt two children. We didn't know if God would give us two children, but we definitely felt led to at least be approved for two. So our home study, our immigration application, all of the paperwork went through the channels to allow us to bring home two children.

Part of our paperwork was a paper to fill out called the "Child Desired Form"...an extensive checklist of all manner of special needs. We were to check which needs we would be willing to accept. We also had to check off if we desired a boy, or a girl. And we had to decide upon an age of that child.

That was a very hard form to fill out. All along, we wanted to be matched with the child GOD WANTED US TO HAVE. How could WE pick?

So, we didn't. We checked off every little bitty box for every special need. We marked boy OR girl. And the age? We left it blank.

We really wanted to surrender our desires to the Lord. Who would He pick out for our family?

Did it make us nervous to check everything? YES. But ultimately, it was a time for the Lord to teach us about total TRUST. And I'm not saying we passed the test...or that we've even completed the course!

I *think* we filled out that form in December. We had already had our eye on little Keith...but he was listed with a different agency and so we were just trying to be open to God's plan. Then, through a series of God ordained timely events, we were matched with KEITH in January! (his story is here)

He is ALREADY so loved!

We continued to wonder if there was another child...would we bring home Keith plus one more? We waited on the Lord to tell us.

And we waited. waited. waited.

Fast forward almost 4 months.

A couple of weeks ago, Karla asked us if we were still interested in bringing a 2nd child home. YES! She asked some questions about our bedroom situations, who we felt like God was leading us to, etc. She asked if there were any children on the special focus list that we felt drawn to...I mentioned little Paul but that I really felt like we were not supposed to adopt him, but try to help find his family. (my heart still just aches when I think about that)

And then I said we were interested in ALL the ones on the SF list! LOL! Who wouldn't be? They are all so precious. (have you seen them? oh my...go here!)

Karla said there would be new children added to the shared list the next week, and since we were very close to being DTC (our paperwork going to China), that Lily would look for a 2nd child for us.

Butterflies!

The day before the new list of children was posted, (last Monday), Karla called to get some more specifics. What were we thinking age-wise? We had left that blank on our form. I told her that I really wanted to leave that up to God. I didn't want my flesh to get in the way. I said when I imagine another child, I vision a younger one, but that might just be me. Bottom-line: we want the child God wants us to have!"

Karla said Lily wanted to find *this type sex* child, with *this type special need*, that is *this age*. She asked, "Would that be alright?" The special need was one we have EXPERIENCE with, so I said "YES!"

Karla said she would call me that night if Lily had a child for us.

Butterflies!

How does one function when you know at any moment God could reveal your 2nd child to you? This is how I functioned: I made dinner, I got ready for the next day, and I went to bed EARLY! Can yall believe I went to bed EARLY on a night like that? I was amazingly tired--and I just couldn't cope with the waiting, I believe. So I took the phone with me to bed and prayed for peace and fell fast asleep!

It was a restless night. My alarm went off at 4:00 a.m. Tuesday morning (we had SAT testing and had to be out the door at 7:00--it takes a long time to get us out the door...:)

As soon as I got up, I realized I hadn't got a phone call...and I just told God, "That's okay. I'm disappointed but IT IS OKAY! YOU'VE got it! It's just not time yet!"

I made my coffee, checked my email...and yall...there it was. An email from Karla.

This would be a GREAT place to stop this post and write a part 2. But I'm not gonna do that. :)

The email came in at 10:30 Monday night and all it said was, "Is it too late to call?"

Um...at this point all manner of focus left the mama.

It's 4 o'clock in the morning. And I missed whatever she had to tell me! So I quickly sent her an email saying it's never too late OR too early to call! LOL!

Remember we have to be out the door by 7:00?

6:30, our phone rang.

Karla said Lily did not find a child for us with the special need that she was looking for.

I think I said something like, "That's okay!" and then she said...

"BUT...."

Lily did find a child for us that caught her eye. Lily did lock this child's file for us. Karla wanted to tell us a little about this child before she sent the file, in case we knew right off that this was not the little one for us.

So Karla told us the sex, birthdate, and the special need. It was a special need that we have absolutely NO experience with. Did we still want to see this child's file?

YES! This could be the one God picked out!

Keep in mind the clock is ticking down quickly to our departure time for these tests. And all routine has gone out the window. (in other words....morning chaos times eight)

Being reasonable and having my priorities in order (LOL!), I quickly raced to refresh my inbox every second until I received the file.

Here it is! I opened it up...raced into the bathroom with my laptop (reasonable Rob continued to get ready for work during all the excitement)....

He took ONE look at the picture. And said...

"When can we turn in our LOI?"

I love that man.

I, on the other hand, surprisingly enough, wanted to pray and make sure. I wanted to call our international adoption doctor and get her opinion on this special need that we knew nothing about. All the while, I am looking at the pictures and thinking "How in the world could we say no?" AND I'm thinking "This child looks so familiar, maybe it's because this child looks like *****'s child...I wonder if they're from the same orphanage."

Now the time is at hand when we really have to leave. I quickly scanned the file to see what I could find out about the special need, the surgery, and the orphanage where this little one is. Wouldn't you know it, the file I opened was the NON-translated one, so I was clueless. It did list the province as Xinjeng. Never heard of it.

We do the mad rush to the car as we meet Tricia on our way out and take her Sydney with us to testing...I quickly mention to Tricia that in the last 30 minutes, God may have just revealed our 10th child! I asked her to pray.

It took about 45 minutes to get to testing and the whole way we are praying praying praying. By the time we arrived, I had the biggest peace that this was our child. God kept bringing to mind Romans 12: "2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

We had been praying for WHOEVER. And now, this little one had just basically fallen into our laps. I called Rob after I got the first kiddos situated in their classroom....we talked about how there was really nothing our dr. could tell us that would make us NOT want to bring this child home. We both agreed that we would accept this referral with joy and thankful hearts!

And then...Karla called again.

She found out more information about this child. Lily found out that this particular child had been moved from her home orphanage.

Are you sitting down?

This child is at NEW DAY FOSTER HOME in Beijing.

NEW DAY!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE KEITH IS!!!!!!!!!!!

I was sitting on a gym floor, completely FLOORED. (and realizing why this child looked so familiar!)


Honestly, I am still floored. Amazed. In complete awe. Humbled.


God, in His infinite sovereignty, wisdom, mercy....I mean what can I say? Nothing. I don't think words could describe what I want to say. I'm not even sure I know a word that comes close to describing how we feel.


Certain? yes, we feel certain this is our child....more than ever.


Unworthy? oh yes....our righteousness is filthy rags


Loved? so very loved


Oh God...to GOD BE THE GLORY. Praise Him!


A sweet, good thing.




Oh....did you want to see who God knew all along would be our 10th child? Our sweet little surprise blessing? (i can't stop smiling...)


Take a peek here.

26 comments:

Jodi said...

How wonderfully exciting! What a precious little treasure!

I was in Ethiopia and I didn't know about Paul. I am heart broken.

Mama Hen said...

Laine! What a wonderful wonderful story! She is just beautiful! And she already has a K name!

Aaron and Erica said...

Oh my goodness...I have the biggest chills all over my body!!! This is AMAZING!!! GOD IS AMAZING!!!! WOOHOO!!! I don't know what else to say!! Oh, well, except she is ADORABLE!!! I'm so happy for you guys!!!!

Love you,

Erica

Tina said...

Oh Laine, I am so stinking happy for you! She is an absolute doll. I wish I could have spent time with you at SAT's but we decided to opt out at the last minute!! Congrats!
lv
Tina

Mike and Barb said...

Wow, Laine, I admire you and your family! What a cute little new blessing!!! May things proceed quickly and smoothly!
Much love, Barb

Sherri said...

Congratulations!

And can I just say that I want to remind you of the prophecy I spoke when I said that you'd need to have an even number of girls and boys (at the time you were thinking you were getting 2 boys)?

Greg and Steph said...

Oh my goodness! What a doll!
So happy for you and your family!!! What a blessing!
I don't share this much, but our family knows your newest angel's need very well! It seems to be a requirement in our family! LOL!
Would LOVE to talk to you!!!
Blessings,
Steph

living4him5 said...

I am in tears! LOVE LOVE LOVE her sweet face. Her little arms were reaching up for you!!

I got chills when I read she is at New Day with Keith. WOW GOD is AMAZING!!!

Much love to you all!
Amy

PS...We're sending in our LOI for Little Gracie on Monday! I need to stop calling her Gracie because her name will be Mia Faith!!

CK said...

LAINE! Why do your posts always make me cry?
I kept wondering if you would bring home two but did not want to ask. Krisha is SO beautiful and God is SO good, down to the smallest details! I am so excited and happy for you!

Aly said...

oh Laine! i am crying tears of joy right now! How very exciting that you are bringing her home! We have pictures of Audra holding her at ND last summer. i will look them up and send them to you. So excited that you will have 2 more ND babies at home to love, and that we don't live that far away, so we can love on them too! Thank you for sharing your joy with us!
Blessings,
Alycia
p.s. so very sorry to hear about little Paul. i know he is being loved on by Jesus right now!

Kristy said...

Goosebumps and rejoicing with you all !!!!!!!!!!!
::huge hugs::

The Collier Bunch said...

We are very happy for all of you. Great to see God blessing you like this.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh my heavens.....YOU ARE YOUR HUSBAND ARE INSPIRING!!!! Seriously, you do...I love your family...I love your hearts and I am so totally excited about this journey!

Rebekah said...

Beautiful! She is absolutely beautiful! I just cannot wait to meet these new babies!!!

TanyaLea said...

Okay, first off, I apologize if this is filled with typos, as I can barely see through the fountain of tears pouring out from my eyes right now!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!

Thank you FATHER!!! Oh Laine ~ PTL for the wonderful things He has done! My heart is racing and my hands are shaking as I type this. I'm just overwhelmed with happiness for you. Floored by His goodness and how He works when we are patient and leave it all in HIS hands! What an immeasurable blessings... ZOE from NewDay... she's ADORABLE! Love her new name!! :) Three precious, beautiful New Day children... how does that happen!? ONLY GOD!!! I think I would've passed out on that gym floor if I were you!! Oh how God has rewarded your faithful obedience. What a joy your family is about to experience... yet again! I bet Karen is just DANCING along with you!!!

Congratulations Rob and Laine and the rest of the Ferrill bunch!! What an AWESOME God we serve. And what great news... just in time for Mother's Day! I can't think of a better gift!!! <><

Can't wait to see and hear more! Oh happy, happy day! :)

Love and Hugs,
~Tanya

Tanya said...

Amazing! I love that she loves to be held. I think there will be a lot of that. Continuing to pray through the journey to your babies.

Ashley said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful!
Much love. Ashley

Aimee said...

I am just in awe. Thats all I can say

To God Be the Glory!

smallseven said...

SO excited for you Laine! I love to hear about how God works out every detail along the way in fulfilling His sovereign plans!
Please e-mail me with your e-mail as I've lossed all of mine recently to a virus. I have something exciting to share with you too! Mine is smallseven@bellsouth.net

Our Journey to China said...

I am sitting here in awe...God is so very, very good, ALL the time! Oh, sweet friend, I am SO VERY EXCITED to meet Keith and sweet Krisha!!! Do you think that cabin in NC will be big enough next year to add three more sweet ones? We just might need a bigger one! :)

Dollar General said...

She's 4 days younger than Isaac...if you want to borrow him to "test it out" you can!! HA HA HA! How precious! I love this age! They are so fun! I'm super excited and very moved by the "Do not be conformed verse..." I needed to hear that today! I love you Lain-ie! Thanks once again for sharing your journeys! I love you!

Carrie said...

I know I already told you how excited this story made me... but I just had to tell you again. God is crazy-good. Also, just wanted to thank you so much for all your prayers, emails and encouraging notes these last few months... with 10 kiddos to think about, not sure how you have time for me! :) But I feel blessed to be a part of your "flock." I hope someday our paths cross so I can hug you in person.

Gentle Mom said...

"Good things" or "God things," what an amazing story. Thank you for sharing. God truly reveals his heart when we blindly follow.

The Princess's Mommy said...

OH Laine!!!! Connie texted me while we were at the beach and I couldn't wait to get home to see her sweet face!!! God is good all the time! I just love your faith and your big ol' heart!!

You are such a blessing! What an amazing story!

Love you,
Monica

jhand said...

So excited for you!! I love the miraculous ways God has orchestrated each adoption story in the Ferrill family. Looking forward to following you back to China!!
Love and prayers,
from the Hand Family

Waitingfaithfully said...

KRISHA! Oh my goodness. God is amazing. Simply-precious-New-Day-new-daughter-AMAZING! I am so excited for you guys. I just never know what I'm gonna find when I come check in on you Laine . . . I am smiling a big Texas sized smile in the middle of the night in San Antonio. God is so good. I love Krisha's story, I love the way you sat back and let the Lord completely play it out.

Oh, His ways, they are so much higher than ours--they are perfect. Krisha is perfect.

Congratulations sweet friend. I'm going to sleep praising Him for His goodness!

Love you,

Tina