Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Isaiah 58

6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? 7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?"


"I'm giving them bobby pins, Mom. I'm a teen-ager and if I lost everything I might appreciate some bobby pins for my hair."
"Can I give them these pretty earrings? I know they don't NEED them, but I'm ten and if it were me, I would like something pretty."
"Mom we don't EACH need a flashlight, let's give them away."
"I'm giving them my bear. It might make a kid not scared anymore."
"This Spiderman puzzle has all its pieces. Can I give it away so a little boy can play with it?"

These are precious words I heard as I was slicing potatoes for dinner last night. Potatoes. A kitchen. A floor. A husband coming in from work hungry and tired. Things I hope I never take for granted again. Moments I cherish as I think about mamas who have lost husbands, children, their homes in the recent tornadoes.

We ALL hurt for them. We ALL hurt with them. Please don't stop praying for these families! And as we pray, we remember God's people all over the world, not just in Alabama...all over the WORLD who are hungry, needy, desperate. May His Word run swiftly....May WE be obedient in our service to HIM!

8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness[a] will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. 9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.
11 The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.
12 Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and will raise up the age-old foundations; you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets with Dwellings."


The countless stories of the Body of Christ coming together is beautiful. There is so much yet to be done....

....hugging them all a little tighter....
(Easter Sunday at the beach...I think it was my first Easter EVER to not iron clothes!)

5 comments:

TanyaLea said...

This post is so precious to me. It's clear you have done a wonderful job training up your children in the way they should go, that they have such selfless love and compassion and want to help others by giving away things that are meaningful to them. What beautiful hearts they have... I KNOW it made your momma heart smile BIG!

Keeping everyone in the south in our thoughts and prayers.

Love you,
Tanya

Polly said...

I've been missing you friend! This is such a sweet post from your heart.... I too have spent the past few days thanking God for mercy on my family and lifting up the families that lost homes and loved ones. Such a tragedy but it quickly puts things into perspective for us.

Hope to see you this week-end!

Love you,
PB

Kristi said...

Oh I do love those children of yours. Their words reflect your (and Rob's) hearts for the Father.
Praying, praying...

The Byrd's Nest said...

What a wonderful heartfelt post, no doubt all of your babies have the same heart and love for Jesus and His people that you and your hubby have my friend:)

Praying for all of those who have lost much....it is just heartbreaking!

Football and Fried Rice said...

What precious, selfless kids of yours! You are such good parents to be raising these babies to think of others above themselves! So compassionate and tender!

And AMEN for not ironing clothes; Im just sayin!

Hugs!
Sara