Monday, June 13, 2011

We might as well!

God provided all the books...


The weather is too hot to play outside unless you're submersed in water....




We're going to likely miss a bit of school later this fall when we add two new lovies to our 'classroom'....




So why not? Why NOT get a little jump start on school?

(and why not do your school under the kitchen table? Hilarious!)


This mean momma started everyone back to school last week! Can you believe how utterly mean I am? :)

(No I did not teach them to crochet. I don't even know how myself. Sweet Nanny Nell taught them!)


Don't get me wrong...I LOVE summer. LOVE IT! And I think our children need a good break. Definitely.

And they had a solid month...we finished most of our school year at the beginning of May so we took the month off. It was NICE because May is a really busy month around here.


But our books kept arriving on the doorstep. Begging to be opened.

On one particular slow, sweltering day, Carlie was heard saying, "I don't like this feeling of being unproductive." To which CLAY replied, "I LOVE THIS FEELING!" Snicker snicker...gotta love boys!


So we started back to school, getting our feet wet, so to speak. Still sleeping in later than normal...staying in our pajamas...just throwing in some school to the lazy days of summer. And believe me, this momma would love to take a solid 3 months off....but I feel really led to get some weeks of teaching behind us.


After all, we do have some PRETTY BIG field/mission trips coming up this summer. And then a SUPER BIG FIELD TRIP hopefully by October/November!


So back to school is not so bad. Actually, I really like it! I am SO THANKFUL for school, whether it's in the summer, fall, winter, or spring(well, to be honest, it's hard to be thankful for school in beautiful spring time weather when you just want to go play all the time! :)


And lest you think I flutter around like sweet Miss Pattycake (who I love, and I miss you Miss Pattycake...when are you coming back this way?) while I teach my obedient adorable children....do not be misguided. It's not so pretty everyday around here, I'm sure you can imagine. Just wanted to clear that up! :)

14 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

wow. I stand in awe :)

And I hear ya on the being HOT!! We have done one read aloud and I just ordered another one (Eric Liddell, Christian Heroes Then & Now) Cant wait!! Even thought I dont home school my kids - we ARE doing summer bridging and I love reading to them and being close to them!!

The Byrd's Nest said...

We are starting back as soon as we get back from Texas. I am going home for 5 weeks to spend some time with my Mom. So I agree:) Good for you Mom!!!

The Byrd's Nest said...

P.S. I just love your little worker under the table:) lol

Rebekah said...

Love it! And love summer school, too! It feels
so good to know you are ahead of the game! (though I must admit to not feeling that way right now, lol)

Karen said...

Wow, didn't know you were a fellow homeschooling family. We have had a few light weeks finishing up the current year of school. We too will be starting next year's school this summer. We are just waiting for the books and DVD's to arrive. My littles can't wait. The older ones are not as excited:-)

Kristi said...

Sometimes there is a need for keeping order...
And yeah, you do have some time off from school coming up!
Love that Kimmie under the table!

Ashley said...

Hmmmm. That is not a bad idea. If I do start back I will not tell my children that I got the idea from the Ferrills. :)

Ashton said...

That is so awesome. The beauty of home school!

Kylie said...

By the looks of things, I'll be coming to teach your first graders! :) I can even teach under the table! ;)

living4him5 said...

I've been ordering books for the fall too, I can't wait to start our second year of homeschool!! What curriculum do you use or do you mix and match?

Hugs,
Amy

Paula said...

Oh goody! So those books will be all read and ready to pass on by September, huh? :)

Jewels of My Heart said...

Oh those sweet little faces.....love it and I love your new design.
God's speed to your little ones waiting...

David and Janet Hurley said...

We have schooled year-round since the year we adopted Emmi (6 years ago). I wouldn't have it any other way=). Of course our schedule, overall, is very unconventional, with DH working swingshift, and rotating off days.
Do you have a LID yet--we don't.

Our Journey to China said...

You are my hero!!! Now if I could only follow.....
Love you!