Friday, August 12, 2011

Another DC memory...

I never finished documenting our trip to DC...oh well! In looking through pictures, I found this one that triggered a very funny memory. We had booked it to the White House for a photo opp and lo and behold they had it roped off so that we could not walk in front of the south side. or north side. I can't remember which.

Anyway, it was really hot and we waited around hoping the guard would eventually take the rope down so we could get a good view. Wasn't gonna happen. So we booked it around to the south side. or north side. It had been a long day, and this was the last thing on our agenda. Some of the kids who will remain nameless were beginning to get tired and complainey and slow. I had to motivate them somehow. I imagined we would get all the way to the south side. or north side. and my one chance at a White House pic was going to be filled with fake smiles or even worse, tears.

What to do, what to do.

So I pretended to be a drill sargeant and told them they better perk up or give me 20.

Then I told them that once we got to the other side, they better not give me any dorky smiles.

I turned to one of my older boys and said, "Am I SCARING YOU YET?"

He replied, "um....actually yeah, you are."

I said, "GOOD! You SHOULD be scared!"

Oh it was such fun, and they all burst out laughing.

And as you can see from my hard sought after White House pic above, there are NO dorky smiles. :)


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Symasek Family Circus said...

AWESOME! Absolutely not ONE dorky smile...how did you DO that? I get dorky smiles in every picture, and I only have FIVE to manage :-)

Our Journey to China said...

Oh, how I wish your trip was now. :) Great picture!

Southern Cheesehead said...

I love all their smiles...especially Kevin's because it shows how far he has come. Seriously...I remember when almost all of his pictures he looked so sad or sick...or both. I love how God has woven him into your family of smiles!!!

Ashley said...

Perfect!

The Byrd's Nest said...

Ha ha....you are an awesome Mom:)

Kristi said...

Totally cracking up here.
Especially because I would never act as a drill sargent or pull any other tricks to get smiles for a photo op.
Never... ;)

(just one more reason that I love ya!)