Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Catch a Falling Star...

...and put it in your pocket, never let it fade away!
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day!

For love may come and tap you on the shoulder,
some starless night!
Just in case you feel you wanna hold her,
you'll have a pocketful of starlight!

For when your troubles startn' multiplyin'
And they just might!
It's easy to forget them without tryin',
with just a pocketful of starlight!

Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, never let it fade away!
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, save it for a rainy day!

(Yall do know that old song, right? Tell me you are singing it with me!)

If you go outside late late tonight or at dawn tomorrow morning...you just might get that chance to catch a falling star! Actually, you can try it between now and Aug. 13th.
The Perseid meteor shower, which occurs once a year in July/August, will be visible tonight, and will peak Friday night (though the moon might interfere with visibility). It is most visible towards the northern horizon.

We just went outside at 10:30 and were able to see a few shooting stars! It was SO EXCITING! We were trying to be quiet, but it was hard to contain our squeals! There is nothing like being outside on a quiet, starlit night. Our necks were aching from the patient waiting, but it was well worth it.

Just looking at the vast nighttime sky, barefoot in dew kissed grass....there's something about it that stills our souls from the busy-ness of the day and brings us back to what really matters. You cannot look into a starry sky without remembering Who numbered and named all those twinkling lights. What must Abraham have thought when God told him his descendants would be as many as the stars in the sky? He must have looked up, maybe his neck hurt like mine did tonight, but he kept looking up because He believed the promise, even though He never saw its fruition.

My niece Claire is staying with us, and she asked, "Aunt Laine, can the people in China see the meteor shower too?" So many of the children were talking at once, I never got a chance to answer her. I love that she asked me that though. China is always on our minds....Keith and Crickett are there, yes. And also so many others we call 'family'.

Even in the excitement of falling stars, we remember our family is not all together under this nighttime sky. One day, though. One day!

In the meantime, we'll just catch a falling star and put it in our pocket, and save it for a rainy day!

6 comments:

Dollar General said...

Hate to say...NEVER HEARD THE SONG! Sad... and I thought we were the same age! ha! Love you Laine.

Southern Cheesehead said...

it's ok, Laine, I was singing the song with you. My mom used to sing that when I was little and I said that I wanted to go out on the deck and "look at the mooon and the tars". LOL

Cindy Jones said...

I sang that song in Elementary school but apparently George didn't because he looked at me funny when I started singing it.

Our Journey to China said...

I love the hearts of your family for China! Oh, how we are praying for quick and easy finishing paperwork and processing for you to bring home Keith and Crickett! We love you guys! And miss you!

Ashley said...

Awe, I missed it. I do not think I have ever seen a falling star.

Kristi said...

Won't be long now till your whole family is together under the night sky. (well, until you are waiting for more ~ cause it wouldn't surprise me at all since God knows you two are amazing parents)
We pray for Keith and Crickett and you guys as you wait! So looking forward to following that journey ~ and wishing we were going along for the ride!