Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Dinner at the pool...

Every night for a week, she had asked me, "Mom, can we please eat dinner at the pool tonight?" My answer was always "No honey we have to ..." or "Well, what we're having tonight would be hard to take to the pool.." or "Oh but your sister is not here and she would be sad to miss out on that..."

This afternoon I thought about her request. I wondered if she would ask again today. I expected any minute she would ask her same question.

So I decided I would surprise her before she could even ask. First, I called Rob and asked if he was up for it. Next, I found an easy finger food dinner recipe.

While she was helping me fix dinner, I knew the question was coming.

But it didn't.

She never asked.

So I told her to go tell everyone to get their bathing suits on because we are eating dinner at the pool tonight!

Her eyes lit up and she said "REALLY?"

Then she said, "I wasn't going to ask tonight, because I didn't want you to feel bad if you had to say no again."

Then I bottled up the sweetness in her heart so I could have some for later. :)

"Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." John 16:24

9 comments:

Symasek Family Circus said...

I LOVE that! Some days I have quit asking for our other little guy's file because I don't want to hear Him say "Not today" again :-) She was much sweeter about it than me... :-)

KCCCKQCKKC's DAD said...

Thanks for making me cry at work! Ugh!!!

TanyaLea said...

That is just the SWEETEST ever, Laine! You and Rob are amazing parents and have done such a great job "training up your children in the way they should go" ...it's clear they have such a sweet and Godly respect for both of you. LOVED this post!! Give her a kiss for me, would ya!?!

OXO,
Tanya

Aran Parks said...

That brought tears to my eyes!

Southern Cheesehead said...

Awwwwwww....so precious!

Can you and Rob do a small group on parenting...I'll be the first to sign up! :-) Love you guys...all 12 of you!!!!

living4him5 said...

Precious post, wiping tears from my eyes!!

You have my email, please include me when you go private!!!

Love ya!
Amy

DeEtte said...

aww..so sweet. Glad y'all got to enjoy dinner by the pool. :-)

Kristy said...

So amazing. I have not checked in with you in awhile..(at the same time Haylie keeps saying she needs to write KL back !)Are we slackers or what??
Completely in awe at what the Lord is doing in your family.
So precious.
Blessings on you all...... ::hugs::

Kristi said...

I want to be a mom just like you! So sure you made a youngen's week with that fun, simple surprise.