Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Testimony of Grace

There was a time in my life when I walked the aisle and prayed the prayer and "got saved".  I was 11.

I *thought* I got saved.

There was no fruit.     John 15:5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

Matthew 7:17,20 "Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.  Thus by their fruit you will recognize them"
 
High School:  no fruit

College:  no fruit (actually, BAD fruit)

Young married life:  no fruit (living for what pleases LAINE)

After Rob and I got married, and had Katie Lyn, we realized "Hey, we've got this little person to raise in this big bad world.  We need to get back in church."

So we did.

I taught Sunday School.

I taught VBS.

I had another baby (Colby).

And I joined a Bible Study.  That happened to be on the book of Revelation.

One Wednesday night at a prayer meeting, I was overcome with the Holy Spirit...convicting me of my unrighteousness and wickedness in my heart.  Luke 5:32 "I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” All the good things I had started doing in church was not worth a hill of beans!!!!  Ephesians 2:8 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast."  I sobbed at the table and confessed, "Yes, I've been baptized.  But it wasn't a Believer's Baptism.  I need Jesus!"   I turned away from sin and turned to the Lord.  And He washed me whiter than snow. 

That night I knew.  I would be baptized again.  And THIS time, praise God, it would be because I have repented of my sins and have been adopted into Christ's family!

With little Clay still in my belly, I was baptized on April 27, 1999.

I guess I'm writing all this because I'm afraid of how many people have "prayed the prayer", or even been baptized, and think they're safe from Hell.  They think they can go ahead and live their life how they want to, and they'll be alright in the end.

I've sinned in leading my children to "pray the prayer" probably before they really understood.  Praise God that in the past year, Rob and I have had many talks with each of our children about repentance and salvation.  God is so faithful to forgive our sins and help us have wisdom raising our children!

The sinner's prayer does not save you.  Jesus is who saves you and me.  It is because of His death for our sins, He imparts His righteousness to us.  We are washed clean by His blood shed on the cross.  CLEAN!  NEW LIFE!  We are NEW CREATIONS!!!!!

And once we are saved, we are on a journey of sanctification...always pressing on to serve Him and love Him and glorify Him.  It is a daily journey of confessing our sins and humbling ourselves before our Maker, acknowledging that He is the giver of this life!

I just have to ask you this, with the love of Christ.  Are you saved?  Have you been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb?  Even if you THOUGHT you were saved...examine yourself before God.  It is a GOOD thing to ask yourself "Am I really saved?"  Because HE will show you.  His Holy Spirit in us is His seal of redemption!!!!!  Do we still sin?  Yes!  But because of Christ we are not condemned!  We can confess our sins and He is faithful and just to forgive them and cleanse us of ALL unrighteousness!  (1 John 1:9)  Praise God we can walk in freedom.  Free to love.  Free to give.  Free to serve.  Free from the sin that entangles us.

If you are saved, then REJOICE SISTER OR BROTHER!  'Cause you are FREE INDEED!!!






7 comments:

Paula said...

Laine, I love your story of knowing Jesus! I love the way He shines through you. I love the way He draws us to Himself; His kindness leads us to repentance. I'm so thankful that we are sisters in Christ and that we can KNOW it ...

1 John 5:11-13 "And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life."

Amen.

Michelle said...

Yes, I am. Am I perfect? No way! I have gone on to do unspeakable things since being "saved". Yet God's Word says NOTHING can snatch me out of His hands and I know this to be true because He has been faithful to save me from my own self time and time again. I'm not where I need to be...but thank God I'm not where I used to be.

Rebekah said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful testimony! So thankful our God saves, convicts, and sanctifies. He is soo worthy of our honor!

MamaHen said...

Oh Laine! He is so good to us! I love your testimony that points to HIM HIM HIM!!!!

MamaHen said...

Oh Laine! He is so good to us! I love your testimony that points to HIM HIM HIM!!!!

familyof8 said...

Thanks for sharing your heart...the truth of HIs forgiveness is powerful!!

Missing you and think about all the excitement of the big wedding. I know your girls will be so lovely.

Blessings,
Christine

Our Journey to China said...

Thank you for sharing your heart and journey, sweet sister. God is so for us and yet He 'waits' for us to really seek Him. I am so thankful He NEVER gives up on us and loves us beyond our wildest imaginations! Love you!!