Monday, July 2, 2012

Diary of a First Day

Our school books for the 2012/2013 school year have been sitting on my bedroom floor, staring at me for 2 weeks.  I decided if I didn't just set a day to start back to school, we may never get around to it!

So ready or not, today was the day!

I wasn't as prepared as I needed to be, but I told the kids we would just "get our feet wet".  That basically means we would get our books ready, see what our schedule will look like, and maybe begin a few things.

This morning I woke up not as early as I should have.  After 103 temps outside for 2 days, we woke up to blessed rain and storms this morning and it was just hard to get out of bed.  I let the kiddos sleep, too.  So thankful for RAIN and cooler temps!

Kevin woke up with a fever so I figured his and Keith's first day of kindergarten wouldn't be happening... (I admit...I'm a little nervous about teaching the two of them together...if ya ever been around them for more than 3 minutes then ya know what I mean.)

After breakfast and Bible/prayer time, I began to work on school with the others, oldest to youngest. 

I love the difference between boys and girls.  After going over the required work each day of the week, Katie Lyn and Carlie immediately began working on color-coded schedules, even delighting over a schedule!

Colby and Clay muttered a few "okays" and "I got it" and that's as far as they got.

Quan, Kimmie and Candie were itching to get started next, and they officially finished their first week of work in about one hour.  ;)  They *might* have a *little* first day of school excitement.  I give it 3 days...then they'll tone it down a bit.

Kevin watched a movie (he loves those Chuck & Friends movies--he told me he likes Chuck better than Lightning McQueen) and Keith played with Crickett a bit...

And after lunch and nap time, we plan to shuck some corn that our friends gave us!  The kids cannot WAIT! That should give you a hint about how much we shuck corn.  Like NEVER.

I want to write about 2 sweet things that happened today.  Keith prayed for Kevin to get better.  He misses his little buddy!  He said the sweetest prayer, "Jesus peese help Kevin feew bettew so Kevin can pay cahrs wit me.  Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese Jesus."  SO sweet!  The 2nd sweet thing was at dinner time.  Kevin's fever had gone up and he didn't feel like eating, so Colby asked if he could take his food in the bedroom and eat with Kevin.  I said, "That's so sweet Colby" and Colby said, "Well, he's my budder!"

We ended up having our corn shucking party after dinner.  And we found two crickets in the box.  Crickett was VERY disturbed by the crickets.  Not sure if she just didn't like us calling a bug by her name, or if it was  just the whole "ewwww a bug" issue.  One cricket got away under the fridge so I am sure he will make his presence known about midnight.  :)

Anyway, that's the diary of our first day!  Thought you might enjoy it, mom!  ;)

This year I am teaching
1 11th grader
1 9th grader
2 7th graders
1 3rd grader
2 2nd graders
2 Kindergarteners

It's going to be SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (I know I'll need somebody to remind me I said that...feel free!)

12 comments:

Allison said...

You are awesome! It kinda of made me exhuasted just reading it!

Sherri said...

Does Candie go to school? I only counted 9 on your list of kids!

The Collier Bunch said...

Wow you beat Robin to the start this year. She is planning to start August 1st. Hoping we can see you guys soon.

The Byrd's Nest said...

Oh dear...starting already??? I stress over my two little ones and homeschooling!

The Princess's Mommy said...

You are my hero. :)

Good Luck on a fabulous year!! The Carter School of Excellence will begin 1st grade classes in 2 weeks. Pray for us!

Love you!
~M

Rebekah said...

I love how your girls love their schedules! My kinda girls! :)

And how precious of both Keith and Colby to be expressing their love in such awesome ways!

I am laughing about Crickett and the crickets! Kind of like when we told Micah we were having sweet potatoes for supper. ;)

MamaHen said...

We haven't started back yet. I thought I would have by now, but things keep happening. Things like me saying, "But its summerrrrrrrrrr!"

Tanya Hindman said...

Whew!!!!!!! I LOVE when you post on what your days are like... just amazing. I love reading about your family, and I love that you are so real with us readers.

Waitingfaithfully said...

Hi friend! Catching up with you is always so enjoyable . . . . and encouraging . . . and inspiring! Love the pictures --it's so good to see your gang together, arms draped around one another's shoulders, holding hands--sibling sweetness at its best!

Love your "Every seat was filled." post--good, good word! And your Kylie girl is married--beautiful!

Looks like a busy, busy summer and an exciting start to a new school year!

Thanks for the fun peak into your lives!

Love from Texas~

Tina

Michelle said...

It will be fun! I miss homeschooling!

living4him5 said...

I love it!!! I just got the last of our books in the mail today!

I'll be teaching...

2-3rd graders
1-1st grader
1- grade K

We'll start next month and I can't wait!

Love ya!
Amy

Cindy Jones said...

I still need to order books. That got put on hold with us traveling to China.