Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Word

THE Word.

HIS Word.

His Holy Word.

It is God-breathed. It is useful for teaching, correcting, rebuking, and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16)

I have not always put God's Word first.

I have not always run to the Word when I have a decision.

Sometimes I run to a devotional book.

Sometimes I run to my friends.

Sometimes I run to mySELF, Lord help me.

But oh, His Word has every answer. For everything in life.

How do I know that? Because God says that very thing! Second Timothy says it is useful for teaching, correcting, rebuking and training in righteousness so that we may be THOROUGHLY equipped for EVERY GOOD WORK.

Have a question? Need to make a decision? Run to the Word.

Run there FIRST.

It is LIVING and ACTIVE. (Hebrews 4:12) It judges our thoughts and attitudes.

I mean, it really has everything we need for life and godliness!!!! (2 Peter 1:3)

It is the WORD OF LIFE.

LIFE!

Why would we go anywhere else?

Lord forgive me for when I have run to so many other worldly sources.

May I pant for You as the deer pants for streams of water (Ps. 42:1)

His Word never returns empty! It will accomplish what He desires and achieve the purpose for which He sent it! It WILL do that. (Isaiah 55:11)

When I think of things I've turned to, and how in return I've received emptiness, it becomes so clear to me my sinfulness and deep need of Truth.

And God in His grace provides forgiveness and exactly what I need...Truth in His Word.

Why feast on lesser things?

We live in a nation where Bibles are a dime a dozen.

That's a pretty good deal if you ask me. I mean, a dime a dozen for God breathed Word to us?

Maybe that's why it's so tempting to not revere or submit to His Word to us. (or maybe it's just our own sinful nature that wants to ignore His will and do what we think is best)

This morning, a beautiful cloudless blue sky, two daughters making home-made waffles, praise songs, boys playing cars loudly....I certainly have a lot to be thankful for!

But what I'm MOST thankful for this morning, is His Word. I am SO thankful He gave us His Word. And I'm SO thankful He saved me, and gave me His Holy Spirit, that I can understand His Word. (1 John 5:20 " We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true—even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.")

May we read His Word even more...

And lastly, here is a really good song about His Word...I love it.
Aren't you thankful for His Word? When He convicts us, teaches us, encourages us...it is all for HIS GLORY!

1 comment:

Paula said...

Amen, Friend!

Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31-32)